6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2012 3:59 PM by rp0428 RSS

migrating data into tde tablespaces with minimal downtime?

We have an oracle 11.2.0.3 database runnning on hpux itanium 64bit. All of our data currently exists in regular tablespaces. We just created some new TDE encrypted tablespaces that we will need to use for compliancy reasons.
      I am trying to find out the best way to relocate my objects that are currently iliving in the unencrypted tablespaces over to the new encrypted tables spaces wihtout any downtime...
      Is this possible?
      I am thinking that the online redefinition package may be the only way to accomplish this? This will be a cumbersome task as we have many objects to be relocated...
      Can anyone provide an alternative approach in getting the data moved to the encrypted tablespaces?
      Thanks.
        • 2. Re: migrating data into tde tablespaces with minimal downtime?
          user481739
          Here are options for your issue.

1) EXPORT unencrypted TS and IMPORT to encrypted TS
          2) ALTER TABLE ...MOVE source TS to target TS
          3) CREATE TABLE_IN_TARGET_TABLESPACE as SELECT * FROM source_ts

Hope these options will be helpful.
          • 3. Re: migrating data into tde tablespaces with minimal downtime?
            L-MachineGun
            Your response is not* helpful, you need to focus on the OP requirements:
            I am trying to find out the best way to relocate my objects that are currently iliving in the unencrypted tablespaces
            over to the new encrypted tables spaces without any downtime...*
            :p
            • 4. Re: migrating data into tde tablespaces with minimal downtime?
              rp0428
              >
              Your response is not helpful, you need to focus on the OP requirements
              >
              It is YOUR response that is NOT HELPFUL and is out of line. You owe user481739 an apology.

It is up to OP to decide if a response is helpful or not, not yours or any other responders. We want to encourage more people to participate on the forums and responses like yours discourage newcomers from taking an active part in making the forums a useful place to get and provide information about Oracle technology and products.

You can't possibly know what 'minimal downtime' would be acceptable to OP or what possible solutions might be most appropriate for OP's tables or use case.

OP didn't even provide any information about how many tables need to be migrated, how large they are, what downtime might be acceptable, what the time-frame is for migrating all tables to the new tablespace or other important information.

user 481739 offered three perfectedly valid possible solutions to OPs problem
              >
              Here are options for your issue.

1) EXPORT unencrypted TS and IMPORT to encrypted TS
              2) ALTER TABLE ...MOVE source TS to target TS
              3) CREATE TABLE_IN_TARGET_TABLESPACE as SELECT * FROM
              >
              Each of those is a viable option for OPs problem and may be options OP is not yet aware of or has not yet considered.
              • 5. Re: migrating data into tde tablespaces with minimal downtime?
                jgarry
                rp0428 wrote:
                >
                Your response is not helpful, you need to focus on the OP requirements
                >
                It is YOUR response that is NOT HELPFUL and is out of line. You owe user481739 an apology.
                Agreed.

>
                It is up to OP to decide if a response is helpful or not, not yours or any other responders. We want to encourage more people to participate on the forums and responses like yours discourage newcomers from taking an active part in making the forums a useful place to get and provide information about Oracle technology and products.
                Agree with the sentiment, but I always have a problem with those asking the question being the sole evaluation of its value. Others can and should pass judgement too, though certainly with more finesse (as if that will ever happen :p ).

>
                You can't possibly know what 'minimal downtime' would be acceptable to OP or what possible solutions might be most appropriate for OP's tables or use case.

OP didn't even provide any information about how many tables need to be migrated, how large they are, what downtime might be acceptable, what the time-frame is for migrating all tables to the new tablespace or other important information.
                Agreed.

>
                user 481739 offered three perfectedly valid possible solutions to OPs problem
                Not enough detail. See http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/issue-archive/2005/05-sep/o55security-100471.html for export considerations, for example.

Edit: On second thought, no, the OP did ask for no downtime. L-MachineGun was right.

Edited by: jgarry on Dec 31, 2012 11:36 AM
                • 6. Re: migrating data into tde tablespaces with minimal downtime?
                  rp0428
                  >
                  Edit: On second thought, no, the OP did ask for no downtime. L-MachineGun was right.
                  >
                  Seems to me the thread subject conflicts with that.
                  >
                  Re: migrating data into tde tablespaces with minimal downtime?
                  >
                  Even if OP insisted on NO downtime that isn't always realistic when all of the risk factors need to be taken into account.

If the primary goal is moving the data into TDE tablespaces then all other considerations, including one for no downtime, are secondary.

In my opinion the best advice is to suggest that OP consider all viable options for moving the data and the risk factors, advantages and disadvantages of each. Then an intelligent decision can be made about the trade-off of 'no downtime' versus a more reliable migration, backup and recoverablility process.

user481739 was clearly trying to be responsive to OPs request for help and I, for one, like to encourage that. The options suggested are certainly viable options for migrating data to tde tablespaces.

This comment of yours is the most appropriate
                  >
                  Not enough detail.