This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2012 7:57 AM by Osama_Mustafa RSS

Connecting to oracle database instance from remote computer

user8643895 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have oracle database instance up and running on vmware player on Redhat linux. This vmware instance is running on on windows 7 computer. I am able to connect to the database instance using sql developer which is running on my windows7 computer.

But when I try to connect to this database instance from my mac os, sql developer running on mac os can not connect to this database instance.

but , I am able ping my windows7 ip address from my mac os,

I am able to telnet port 80 on my windows7 computer from mac computer.

But I am unable to telnet port 1521 from the mac os.

Could anybody help me to configure my macos and windows7 computers to connect to database instance which is running on vmware player.

Thanks in advance for any help
  • 1. Re: Connecting to oracle database instance from remote computer
    EdStevens Guru
    user8643895 wrote:
    I have oracle database instance up and running on vmware player on Redhat linux. This vmware instance is running on on windows 7 computer. I am able to connect to the database instance using sql developer which is running on my windows7 computer.

But when I try to connect to this database instance from my mac os, sql developer running on mac os can not connect to this database instance.

but , I am able ping my windows7 ip address from my mac os,

I am able to telnet port 80 on my windows7 computer from mac computer.

But I am unable to telnet port 1521 from the mac os.

Could anybody help me to configure my macos and windows7 computers to connect to database instance which is running on vmware player.

Thanks in advance for any help
    What is the virtual NIC configured for? NAT, Bridged, Hostonly? What is the IP address of the vm? Is it a fixed IP or DHCP.

Remember, that VM is for all intents and purposes it's own machine. It has its own IP and it communicates to the rest of the world via a network adapter process that runs on the host OS. You can think of that network adapter as the router to which the VM is connected.

If the VM has a DHCP assigend ip address, your clients are trying to find a moving target.
    If the net configuration is NAT or HOST ONLY, no machine other than the host os will ever be able to see the vm.
  • 2. Re: Connecting to oracle database instance from remote computer
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Check Firewall setting on your windows

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points