This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2013 3:30 PM by hick RSS

Error 57 initializing SQL*Plus

hick Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
i am not able to start sql plus. It gives me the below mentioned error message. I did not have any problem when i worked a month back but now when i am going to start again, it gives me this error. In between, the only change i brought into my PC is the installation of Kaspersky Antivirus and doing the full scan?

Error loading message shared library

thanks
  • 1. Re: Error 57 initializing SQL*Plus
    sb92075 Guru
    hick wrote:
    i am not able to start sql plus. It gives me the below mentioned error message. I did not have any problem when i worked a month back but now when i am going to start again, it gives me this error. In between, the only change i brought into my PC is the installation of Kaspersky Antivirus and doing the full scan?

thanks
    http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=oracle+Error+57+initializing+SQL*Plus
  • 2. Re: Error 57 initializing SQL*Plus
    hick Newbie
    I did this. I need someone to help me out
  • 3. Re: Error 57 initializing SQL*Plus
    sb92075 Guru
    hick wrote:
    you did not need any assistance to make this situation.
    We don't know what you have or what you did.

How do I ask a question on the forums?
    SQL and PL/SQL FAQ

open up Command Window & issue command below

SET

COPY the results & PASTE them back here
  • 4. Re: Error 57 initializing SQL*Plus
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    hick wrote:
    Similar thread
    https://kr.forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=978102
  • 5. Re: Error 57 initializing SQL*Plus
    hick Newbie
    @sb92075 - please let me know if you understand the problem. If yes and know how to troubleshoot, please let me know. I will be thankful to u however please don't give me google search results or irrelevant suggestions. thanks
  • 6. Re: Error 57 initializing SQL*Plus
    EdStevens Guru
    hick wrote:
    @sb92075 - please let me know if you understand the problem. If yes and know how to troubleshoot, please let me know. I will be thankful to u however please don't give me google search results or irrelevant suggestions. thanks
    It is quite common for questions to come up for which no one has a ready, complete answer at their fingertips. If we have to use google to look up possible solutions, why shouldn't you do it for yourself?
  • 7. Re: Error 57 initializing SQL*Plus
    Mark Williams-Oracle Employee ACE
    hick wrote:

thanks
    This error is raised during the early startup processing for sqlplus and is, by nature, rather generic. Since it is raised during initialization, it's quite possible that not all libraries that might be needed for additional details (such as localized error messages) are loaded.

As the only thing you mention has changed is installation of Kaspersky, that suggests it is blocking a required library from being loaded. This error can also be raised when there is insufficient memory available (which would also prevent loading of required libraries, etc).

Here's a simple test you can do to illustrate this (obviously not on a production system, etc!):
    $ cd \Oracle\11.2\database\BIN

$ dir /s /b oraclient11.dll
    C:\Oracle\11.2\database\BIN\oraclient11.dll

$ rem temporarily rename the Oracle RDBMS Client Library for testing
    $ ren oraclient11.dll oraclient11.dll.save

$ rem this will raise error 57 since a required library could not be loaded during initialization
    $ sqlplus.exe /nolog

$ rem be sure to change back!
    $ ren oraclient11.dll.save oraclient11.dll
    Regards,

Mark
  • 8. Re: Error 57 initializing SQL*Plus
    hick Newbie
    @EdStevens - i understand no one has answers ready. at the same time, i think i explained my problem as far as i could which made Mark answer it in the best possible manner and content. if someone does not understand the problem or need more info and willing to help, there are ways of letting other person know. hope you understand.
  • 9. Re: Error 57 initializing SQL*Plus
    hick Newbie
    thank you so much mark for detailed information. I will try to test it and will come up with the findings.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points