3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 10:00 AM by jtahlborn RSS

Heapdump object details

invalidParameter
      Is it possible to find the stack trace associated with the object using the heap dump?
      Trying to find an object's foot print w.r.t its creation time, code which created it, to which thread the object is associated etc..
        • 1. Re: Heapdump object details
          EJP
          Is it possible to find the stack trace associated with the object using the heap dump?
          Not unless you put one into the object when you created it.
          Trying to find an object's foot print w.r.t its creation time, code which created it, to which thread the object is associated etc..
          Objects aren't associated with threads. They are just in the heap. Again if you want creation information you would have to save whatever you need yourself.
          • 2. Re: Heapdump object details
            invalidParameter
            Not unless you put one into the object when you created it.
            If i implement this, how can i retrieve the information again?
            Can i able to get the objects run-time information too out of it?
            • 3. Re: Heapdump object details
              jtahlborn
              are you looking for this info in an "ongoing tracking" sort of way or a "one time bug fix" sort of way? if the latter, i would just find a good profiler. i personally use and love yourkit java profiler, which allows you to enable object allocation tracking so you can see exactly where certain objects were allocated. obviously, this wouldn't help you in a production system, but is fantastic for tracking down issues in your dev environment.