This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 6:48 AM by ccortez RSS

does UCM supports live streaming ??

ccortez Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I'd like to know if UCM supports live streaming ?? something like uStream, where you broadcast live streaming.

i need to know if it's possible or it needs a third-party solution, or in others what should i do to accomplish this.

i have been reading these information but can't get an answer:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e10724/c02_wcc.htm#CHDEEIFH
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/webcenter/content/overview/ds-owc-content-digital-asset-mgmt-427839.pdf?ssSourceSiteId=ocomen

Kind Regards
Carlos
  • 1. Re: does UCM supports live streaming ??
    jiri.machotka Guru
    UCM is a content management system. Every content that can be returned by UCM must be first checked in.

If I take into account the definition of live streaming from wikipedia, "Live streaming, delivering live over the Internet, involves a camera for the media, an encoder to digitize the content, a media publisher, and a content delivery network to distribute and deliver the content," it does not look that a content management system has any value there.

Even for the "normal" streaming, however, UCM needs a third party streaming servers listed in the chapter 4.1.2 here: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e10800/c04_damia_all.htm#CBHIGFFC
  • 2. Re: does UCM supports live streaming ??
    ccortez Journeyer
    Hi jiri,

Thanks for your help, i am new with webcenter so i have some doubts about your reply:
    If I take into account the definition of live streaming from wikipedia, "Live streaming, delivering live over the Internet, involves a camera 
    for the media, an encoder to digitize the content, a media publisher, and a content delivery network to distribute and deliver the content," it does not look
     that a content management system has any value there.
    Why do you say it doesn't has any value there ?? i mean whats the difference with normal streaming that makes it work.

My other doubt is, if the third party streaming servers from the link have the ability to stream live video, this means it can be returned by UCM as a content ?? :)

Kind Regards
    Carlos
  • 3. Re: does UCM supports live streaming ??
    jiri.machotka Guru
    Hi Carlos,

let me elaborate my answer a little bit.
    My other doubt is, if the third party streaming servers from the link have the ability to stream live video, this means it can be returned by UCM as a content ??
    UCM treats everything as a content - which means that it is assigned metadata, can be sought for, secured, converted, etc. (also retrieved to those who are authorized to see it). What streaming adds to it is the ability to a) select the correct rendition based on runtime parameters and b) stream the video content. This is extremely useful especially if you have a web site providing access also to (stored) videos, and you want to have an excellent user experience (provide the best resolution, but not to force consumers to wait for content, because they won't)

Why I think that it adds no value to live streaming? Because the content is live - it has not existed before the event, so it means it could not have been checked in (which always takes some time) - and the value is especially on the live, or immediate access to what video shows. I can imagine that the content is later archived and provided via a CMS, but during the live broadcast it would be just an unnecessary hindrance, wouldn't it?

Perhaps, you could write what your use case is.
  • 4. Re: does UCM supports live streaming ??
    ccortez Journeyer
    with this:
    so it means it could not have been checked in (which always takes some time)
    you mean that when checked in the content this takes much time so i could not be a live content right ?? this makes a lot of sense now.
    Perhaps, you could write what your use case is
    a customer wants to know if webcenter content 11g capabilities supports live streaming so that is why i'm asking if this is possible, but with your explanation i have undestantood much better.

:)
  • 5. Re: does UCM supports live streaming ??
    jiri.machotka Guru
    you mean that when checked in the content this takes much time so i could not be a live content right ?? this makes a lot of sense now.
    In fact, you'd have to have the complete file first (the live session would be finished by that time), or check-in some complete pieces (again: when finished). Besides, the checkin process of large files itself also takes some time (expect few seconds at least). But I believe you got the idea.
  • 6. Re: does UCM supports live streaming ??
    ccortez Journeyer
    You are right and i got the idea, thanks for all the explanation! :)

Kind Regards
    Carlos

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points