This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 11:09 AM by 980912 RSS

Oracle Forms Layout Editor against Apex Grid Layout

980912 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm new to APEX but I have been using Oracle Forms for a while. I created an interactive report link to a dml form to create a simple file maintenance.

The Apex DML form that got created from a wizard displays all the columns vertically (1 row for each column). I want to re-arrange this so that some columns are in 1 row and some are not and also some columns are not all aligned. Please see below for a sample layout concept that I want to do

What is the best way to do this in Apex? Is this possible using Grid Layout? Also is there a GUI interface like in Oracle Forms Layout Editor that I can use in APEX or any third party product?

Prompt xxxxx Prompt: xxxxx Prompt: xxxxx
Prompt xxxxxxxxx Prompt: xxxxxxxxx
Prompt xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thanks in advance !
  • 1. Re: Oracle Forms Layout Editor against Apex Grid Layout
    fac586 Guru
    >

Before going ant further, please update your forum profile with a real handle instead of "user12943263" as previously requested.

When you have a problem you'll get a faster, more effective response by including as much relevant information as possible upfront. This should include:

<li>Full APEX version
    <li>Full DB/version/edition/host OS
    <li>Web server architecture (EPG, OHS or APEX listener/host OS)
    <li>Browser(s) and version(s) used
    <li>Theme
    <li>Template(s)
    <li>Region/item type(s) (making particular distinction as to whether a "report" is a standard report, an interactive report, or in fact an "updateable report" (i.e. a tabular form)

With APEX we're also fortunate to have a great resource in apex.oracle.com where we can reproduce and share problems. Reproducing things there is the best way to troubleshoot most issues, especially those relating to layout and visual formatting. If you expect a detailed answer then it's appropriate for you to take on a significant part of the effort by getting as far as possible with an example of the problem on apex.oracle.com before asking for assistance with specific issues, which we can then see at first hand.
    The Apex DML form that got created from a wizard displays all the columns vertically (1 row for each column). I want to re-arrange this so that some columns are in 1 row and some are not and also some columns are not all aligned. Please see below for a sample layout concept that I want to do
    What is the best way to do this in Apex? Is this possible using Grid Layout?
    There's only 2 (sane) ways to do this in APEX, using either HTML tables or CSS grid layout. This is determined by the page template, so to know which applies it is necessary to know the theme, page template and Grid Layout Type used.
    Also is there a GUI interface like in Oracle Forms Layout Editor that I can use in APEX or any third party product?
    No.
    Prompt xxxxx Prompt: xxxxx Prompt: xxxxx
    Prompt xxxxxxxxx Prompt: xxxxxxxxx
    Prompt xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Use tags<tt>\
    ...\
    </tt> tags
    to format code and sample output.
  • 2. Re: Oracle Forms Layout Editor against Apex Grid Layout
    980912 Newbie
    Hi,
    I already updated my username but it seems like it might take up to 6 hours to get this updated.

I'm using 4.2 Apex, Oracle 11.2.0.1 DB, IE 8 browser, pl/sql Gateway arhitecture and I'm using them 24 cloudy theme.

Can you let me know how to find the grid type and also a link to any info about the html tables and CSS grid layout

Thanks!

I have page 3 - Interactive report and page 4 - DML Form.

Page 3
    Page Type: Interactive Report
    Page template: No tabs - left sidebar
    Standard tab set: TS1 (Home)
    the rest are just the default value

Page 4
    Page Type: DML Form
    Page template: No tabs - no sidebar
    Standard tab set: TS1 (Home)
    the rest are just the default value
  • 3. Re: Oracle Forms Layout Editor against Apex Grid Layout
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Suggestion, dump, run away from and bury if at all possible IE 8... Better to use a browser like Firefox or chrome.. Just a suggestion since they follow css and html 5 standards better than IE ever will..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Ruckersville, VA
  • 4. Re: Oracle Forms Layout Editor against Apex Grid Layout
    fac586 Guru
    user12943263 wrote:

I'm using 4.2 Apex, Oracle 11.2.0.1 DB, IE 8 browser, pl/sql Gateway arhitecture and I'm using them 24 cloudy theme.

Can you let me know how to find the grid type
    The Grid Layout properties are in the page template: Home > Application Builder > Application > Shared Components > Templates > One Level Tabs - No Sidebar.

This template uses an HTML table.
    and also a link to any info about the html tables and CSS grid layout
    There's not a lot:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/doc.42/e35125/ui_templt.htm#autoId74
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/doc.42/e35125/ui_item_attr.htm#BABDGJFI

To get this layout:
    Prompt 1: xxxxx Prompt 2: xxxxx Prompt 3: xxxxx
    Prompt 4: xxxxxxxxx Prompt 5: xxxxxxxxx
    Prompt 6: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Use the following Grid Layout settings in the item definitions (leaving the other settings at the default values and setting the Element Width as required):
                Start   Start   
                New     New     New     Column  
                Grid    Line    Column  Span
                -----   -----   ------  ------
    Prompt 1    Yes     Yes     -       1
    Prompt 2    No      No      Yes     1
    Prompt 3    No      No      Yes     1
    Prompt 4    No      Yes     Yes     2
    Prompt 5    No      No      Yes     2
    Prompt 6    No      Yes     Yes     6
  • 5. Re: Oracle Forms Layout Editor against Apex Grid Layout
    980912 Newbie