This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 1:10 PM by jahurley RSS

Can not create/ed TABS due to: Error during rendering of region "Tab List".

595810 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Running on Oracle 11g Release 11.2.0.3.0 Production
Running on APEX 4.1.1.00.23

Migrated from earlier version of Oracle and APEX 3.0 to ubove version, all went well.

Finally got around to wanting to add new TAB set. When I try to create a new TAB set or edit an existing one, I get an ERROR.

Application Builder -> <My_Appplication> -> Shared Components -> Tabs -> Manage Tabs => Error during rendering of region "Tab List". ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small

Anyone have any clue as to what I need to do to address this issue and get to the point where I can create/edit TABS?

Elton Hay.

Edited by: Elton Hay on Oct 12, 2012 9:44 AM
  • 1. Re: Can not create/ed TABS due to: Error during rendering of region "Tab List".
    595810 Newbie
    I am disappointed that no one ever bothered to respond to this posting.
    Makes me wonder where to go for help when I need it on APEX.

I decided to try and solve this myself, and I have.
    Table APEX_040100.WWV_FLOW_TABS has a column TAB_ALSO_CURRENT_FOR_PAGES defomed as VARCHAR2(4000).
    My application has over 250 pages, and each page with a tab is listed in this field in comma delimiited format.

Turns out APEX Manage Tabs page is only capable of rendering 223 pages. At 224 pages it overflows some parameter and generates the error: Error during rendering of region "Tab List". ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small.

I created a view create view in my schema on APEX_WWV_FLOW_TABS as
    SELECT FLOW_TAB, TAB_SET, TAB_TEXT, TAB_SEQUENCE, flow_id, TAB_ALSO_CURRENT_FOR_PAGES
    FROM APEX_040100.WWV_FLOW_TABS
    WHERE FLOW_ID = 101;

My Applicaiton number is 101. I wanted to limiit the amount of damage I could do to must my app and not APEX as well.
    As SYSTEM, I granted SELECT and UPDATE on this view to my schema.

Using APEX, I created a form with report on this view in my applicaiton, and then using this form started changing the number of page entries in the field TAB_ALSO_CURRENT_FOR_PAGES. Then going back to the APEX developer and seeing if I could get to Manage Tabs. I narowed it down to the exact number of pages that worked. The number of pages in my list was 229, but 6 of them do not have tabs, so the number of pages to render wass 223. If I upped the page number by one, I would get the Error message again

So to manage my tabs, I chop off most of the contents of this field (saving the original content for later), go to manage tabs, do whatever, and then go back and put back the list of pages in the TAB_ALSO_CURRENT_FOR_PAGES field using the form in my application.

Note, with a field length of varchar(4000), and page numbers of the form 'n', through 'nnnn,' there is a limit of 800 to 999 pages max with the same tab set for an application (as far as this field is concerned).

Also, by creating a new applicaiton using the APEX developer, I was able to get to the Manage Tab page just fine, as there were no pages with tabs at the outset. This indicated that APEX was capable of rendering this page, but not with the data it had for my app.

Not a pretty work-around, but better than nothing, which was where I was and getting no help.

---
  • 2. Re: Can not create/ed TABS due to: Error during rendering of region "Tab List".
    595810 Newbie
    Answere by Elton Hay
  • 3. Re: Can not create/ed TABS due to: Error during rendering of region "Tab List".
    jahurley Newbie
    Review - Bug 13812100: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: NUMERIC OR VALUE ERROR: CHARACTER STRING BUFFER TOO SMALL

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points