This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 2:34 PM by Vite DBA RSS

Apex 4.2 and TNSNAMES.ORA file

Nuenhundretfunfundsiebzig Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm trying to understand how I can install Apex and connect to a database using entries on my TNSNAMES.ORA file
( Oracle 11g2r Apex 4.2)
Can I do this if I use the embedded PL/SQL gateway?
Is there some documentation that talks about this? I'm not finding anything
  • 1. Re: Apex 4.2 and TNSNAMES.ORA file
    rorwessels Newbie
    The easiest way I can think to do this would be to use database links in the schema for the APEX workspace. Remember that each APEX workspace created has it's own schema at the Oracle level.

Database Links will rely on and use the information in the TNSNAMES.ORA file on the database server.

I hope that leads you in the right direction.

R. Otto R. Wessels
  • 2. Re: Apex 4.2 and TNSNAMES.ORA file
    Hari_639 Guru
    Hello,

I can't understand your question. Can you please elaborate.

Please read [url:http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/apex-arch-086399.html]APEX Architecture

Regards,
    Hari
  • 3. Re: Apex 4.2 and TNSNAMES.ORA file
    Nuenhundretfunfundsiebzig Newbie
    the question is simply, how do I set up a TNS connection for Apex
  • 4. Re: Apex 4.2 and TNSNAMES.ORA file
    Vite DBA Pro
    Hi,

the question may be simple, but it still doesn't make sense. As Hari alluded to, coming to an understanding of the Apex architecture should answer your questions.

This is because TNS connections allow connections to a database by a client. In the case of Apex, it is a 3 tier architecture meaning the connection to the database is handled by an application server, and not the user client, which is a browser. This means that any TNS configuration happens between the application server, typically Oracle's HTTP server or the Apex Listener, and the database. In the case of the embedded PL/SQL gateway (EPG) no TNS configuration is necessary as the EPG is embedded in the database.

I hope this helps you understand why your question didn't make sense.

Regards
    Andre

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points