This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 5:20 AM by Gen.Java RSS

Bullet problem

Gen.Java Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I am displaying a simple HTML list in a JEditorPane(). The list is displayed but the bullets are larger than the browser equivalent and has jagged circle.
JFrame f;
JEditorPane ep;
String s;

s = "<html> <ul> <li>first<li>second </ul> </html>";
ep=new JEditorPane("text/html",s);

f=new JFrame();
f.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
f.getContentPane().add(ep);
f.pack();
f.setVisible(true);
Thank you
  • 1. Re: Bullet problem
    EJP Guru
    Fascinating. Your question?
  • 2. Re: Bullet problem
    Gen.Java Newbie
    EJP wrote:
    Fascinating. Your question?
    How can I display an HTML list in a JEditorPane() where the list bullets have the same appearance as the browser equivalent? Currently it is larger and has jagged circle.

Please run my code. and then display the HTML in a browser to see the difference.

Edited by: Gen.Java on Jan 1, 2013 1:04 AM
  • 3. Re: Bullet problem
    TPD-Opitz-Consulting-com Expert
    Gen.Java wrote:
    How can I display an HTML list in a JEditorPane() where the list bullets have the same appearance as the browser equivalent? Currently it is larger and has jagged circle.
    Did you check that your sample HTML looks all the same in opera, safari, firefox, links and IE ?
    There is no (an cannot be a) global definition how the bullet should be rendered. But you could try using CSS http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_list.asp ?

bye
    TPD
  • 4. Re: Bullet problem
    Gen.Java Newbie
    Thank you TPD. I tried the sample HTML in Safari and found that it looks bigger than in IE. However, they both display smooth circles. JEditorPane displays jagged circles which look bad.
  • 5. Re: Bullet problem
    gimbal2 Guru
    On which OS is this since you're sticking to the default look & feel? Sounds like an anti aliasing type of problem to me.
  • 6. Re: Bullet problem
    Gen.Java Newbie
    gimbal2 wrote:
    On which OS is this since you're sticking to the default look & feel? Sounds like an anti aliasing type of problem to me.
    Windows XP and Vista.

Yes, I am referring to an anti aliasing problem.

I also tried it on all major look & feels and the HTML is the same, so I don't think that changing the L&F will help.
  • 7. Re: Bullet problem
    gimbal2 Guru
    Can you reproduce on a different computer?
  • 8. Re: Bullet problem
    Gen.Java Newbie
    gimbal2 wrote:
    I only have Windows XP and Vista machines. If you have others, can you please try my sample?

Thank you
  • 9. Re: Bullet problem
    gimbal2 Guru
    Gen.Java wrote:
    gimbal2 wrote:
    I only have Windows XP and Vista machines. If you have others, can you please try my sample?

Thank you
    Very well then, but the next time post an example which actually compiles and runs without needing to be modified.

Windows 7 + Java 6 - It looks like crud, but I don't ask much from the Swing HTML renderer as I don't intend it to be a browser, just a way to display styled stuff. It looks like a bullet list, so I'm content with it. Why are you expecting something more?
  • 10. Re: Bullet problem
    Gen.Java Newbie
    Thank you gimbal2 for the info and sorry for the trouble.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points