We have planned to migrate existing R12(12.0.4) 10g(10.2.0.3) environment running on windows 32bit to R12(12.1.3) with 11gR2(220.127.116.11)DB on linux 64bit.The target Oracle home version (including patch set version) must match the source --> So, use the export/import instead (see the docs referenced below).
I have reviewed metalink migration documents to achieve the same, but still have some confusions. Below is the plan which i have drive after reading all the posts and documents.I would appreciate if anyone having experience of doing similar setup/configuration can guide me in right direction.
1. Prepare the source Application and DB by Applying pre-migration patches
2. Install latest oracle db binaries 18.104.22.168 64bit linux on target and apply all the certified patches
3. Migrate the database using transportable tablespace
Using Transportable Database to migrate E-Business Suite R12 Using Oracle Database 10gR2 or 11g [ID 734763.1]
-- Here plz clarify DB 32bit win to DB 64bit linux can be achieved using above note or any other step would be required, any other metalink note?
4. Once DB is migrated, Install 12.1.1 Tech-stack on target app-node from stage.Yes -- This is also mentioned in the Linux migration doc for the apps tier node referenced below.
5. Copy Application tier files from win32bit to Linux 64bit.
Copy the Source System to the Target System
Copy the application tier file system from the Source Oracle E-Business Suite system to the Target Node
-- Is this is the way to migrate from windows to linux????
6. Then perform rest of the configuration and integrate with db.Yes you can -- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1.1 Maintenance Pack Installation Instructions [ID 752619.1]
-- Any additional steps as the source application was 12.0.4 and target would be 12.1.1, This is ok to go from 12.0.4 to 12.1.1?
7. Once the Application and DB are migrated, Do R12 12.1.3 upgrade.Migrating E-Business Suite Application Tier Servers to Linux
Let me know if its fine or not, Also refer some documetns that can help me. Thanks
979189 wrote:Correct, and you need to use the export/import instead -- See the docs referenced above in my previous reply.
Thanks for your feedback. Its mean we can not migrate using Transportable tablespace from lower version of DB to Higher version of DB?
In my case 10.2.0.3 to 22.214.171.124?
Carlo den Otter wrote:I agree.
Export/Import is not to be taken lightly (though it does help to reorganize data).
An upgrade and a transport might be considered as an alternative.In my opinion, it is not less painful than using the upgrade and the transportable TS approach ;)
Thank-you all for sharing experience. From your posts/replies what i understood is:
1. Migrate DB 10g(10.2.0.3) 32Bit windows to 10g(10.2.0.3) 64bit Linux using export/import and not transportable tablespace.
Moreover can we migrate from 10gr2 windows 32bit to 11gr3 linux 64bit using export/import?
2. Once the DB is migrated to same version of DB 10g(10.2.0.3) linux then upgrade to 11gR3(126.96.36.199). Right?No, you can do the export from 10gR2 to 11gR2.
3. Now Install on Target App-tier with Tech-stack option only.Yes.
4. Next copy the source windows 32bit App-Tier TOP's to target Linux 64bit and configure following recommended notes.Yes.
5. Is there any other way then export/import to migrate DB from windows to linux like rman?No.
Here we can not migrate directly to 12.1.1 and later upgrade to 12.1.3?You can ugrade to 12.1.1/12.1.3 after you finish the migration.
If we migrate to linux 12.0.4 first, we dont have to apply patches that were applied on source system or in which case we have to apply?Correct.