This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 3:44 AM by 981113 RSS

New to Apex and Oracle questions on writting my Quality Database

981113 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Here is my problem. I am not an IT programer, i do not know PL/SQL, but i need to write a very user friendly Quality defect database. We are going to be using Apple ipads to input the defects in real time into this data base. I need to attach data, pictures, PDF, and other files into this data base. The interface in the IPad has to be very simple and straight forward. I also need to have it web accessable to view reports and run querries. I have written a great interface using Filemaker pro 12 and Filemaker GO, however our IT deparment wants it put into Oracle. The reason i used Filemaker Pro 12 is that the design phase was extremely simple and it integrates perfectly with the Ipad. Please Help, are there any programs that interface with Apex that will allow for an easy page design for entry? I can share my filemaker database for reivew if anyone has any ideas?
  • 1. Re: New to Apex and Oracle questions on writting my Quality Database
    Earl Lewis Journeyer
    I've never used Filemaker, but if you can export your data from there into CSV format then this is a slam dunk. You get your data into CSV format, upload it into a new Apex application, build your baseline pages using the wizards and you're off and running, probably a lot less painful than Filemaker. This can literally take less than an hour and you'll be working with your new Apex app. Then the tweaking and refinement starts, which is where all the fun is anyway! :)

Earl
  • 2. Re: New to Apex and Oracle questions on writting my Quality Database
    Joni Vandenberghe Pro
    You can create a new theme in Apex based on the HTML/CSS of your filemaker layout, in Application Builder > Application > Shared Components > Themes and then use the theme in your application, but there is no out of the box to do this, you need to do this manually.
  • 3. Re: New to Apex and Oracle questions on writting my Quality Database
    fac586 Guru
    >

Welcome to the forum. Please update your forum profile with a real handle instead of "978110".
    Here is my problem. I am not an IT programer, i do not know PL/SQL, but i need to write a very user friendly Quality defect database. We are going to be using Apple ipads to input the defects in real time into this data base. I need to attach data, pictures, PDF, and other files into this data base.
    How are you going to do this? What is the nature of the "data" and "other files"? How is it captured? Do you intend to use the iPad camera to take the pictures? Where do the PDFs and files come from?
    I also need to have it web accessable to view reports and run querries.
    Web accessible to whom? The iPad users? Other users? How will they access it: Desktop computers? iPads? iPhones? Other mobile devices? Internally or over the internet? Does the data have to be available in real-time?
    I have written a great interface using Filemaker pro 12 and Filemaker GO, however our IT deparment wants it put into Oracle.
    Why do IT want to use Oracle? Is it that they don't want to use Filemaker at all? Do they want to integrate with existing Oracle systems? Or would they accept using the iPad/Filemaker solution for data capture, then transfer it to Oracle for the long-term storage of the data and the "web accessible...reports and queries"?
    The reason i used Filemaker Pro 12 is that the design phase was extremely simple and it integrates perfectly with the Ipad. Please Help, are there any programs that interface with Apex that will allow for an easy page design for entry? I can share my filemaker database for reivew if anyone has any ideas?
    APEX is certainly capable of making the information web accessible via reports, charts etc. However unlike native iOS apps like Filemaker Go, it's not possible for web-based apps to access all of the iPad's features. You won't be able to use the iPad camera to take photographs or scan barcodes within the application; upload pictures from the photo library; record an audio note; attach a Pages document; or capture a signature from the touch screen.

A standard APEX app is therefore not ideal if you want to use the full capabilities of the iPad. To do so you can use PhoneGap to turn the APEX app into a native iPad app, as described by Roel. Note that to deploy a native app in-house you'd have to register for Apple's .iOS Developer Enterprise Program<a/>.
  • 4. Re: New to Apex and Oracle questions on writting my Quality Database
    981113 Newbie
    To explain n more detail

Filemaker is very intuitive while building and allows me to write my forms to collect the data easily. This is the function i like. The people in my department are not computer savy and most have been with the company for 30+ years. I have not found an easy way to make the database in apex have the look of being very user friendly. I cannot post a picture on this forum of my design in filemaker but could email it if someone was interested. The biggest hurddle is that i cannot get the format of my database to be the same as it is in filemaker for the forms. I can get the database structure the same, but the format is key for the ipad integration. Also Filemaker can communicate in SQL with oracle i am just not sure how i automate this function so they communicate fluently and automatic. Our corporate IT does not want to use any other system other then oracle. It seems very powerful, but not very user friendly when try to write forms for my database. My database has to be simple and powerful all in the same breath.

The other questions is can another program be used to build the "Pretty" front side of the data base. If so how does one go about doing this?

Thanks for all you answers so far.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points