9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 5:32 PM by EJP RSS

log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.

mjmjava
      Hello
      I have Log4j.properties

log4j.rootCategory = DEBUG, file ,ImportFileAppender , console

log4j.appender.stdout.threshold = ERROR
      log4j.appender.stdout = org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
      log4j.appender.stdout.layout = org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
      log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern = %d{ABSOLUTE} %5p [%t] %c - %m%n

log4j.appender.file.threshold = DEBUG
      log4j.appender.file.File = ${qtl.log.location}
      log4j.appender.file.MaxFileSize = 10MB
      log4j.appender.file.MaxBackupIndex = 10
      log4j.appender.file = org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
      log4j.appender.file.layout = org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
      log4j.appender.file.layout.ConversionPattern =%-5p|%-80m|%d%n

log4j.appender.ImportFileAppender.threshold = DEBUG
      log4j.appender.ImportFileAppender.File = ${qtl.log.import}
      log4j.appender.ImportFileAppender = org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
      log4j.appender.ImportFileAppender.layout = org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
      log4j.appender.ImportFileAppender.layout.ConversionPattern = %-5p|%-80m|%d%n

and i am giving ${qtl.log.location} through java file like this
      private static String LOG_4J_PROPERTY_FILE = "/src/com/impact/qtl12/commons/log4j.properties";

logFileName     = "log-" + new SimpleDateFormat("yyyyMMdd-hhmm").format(new Date()) + ".log";
                logFilePath = dirString + "\\" + logFileName;;

System.setProperty("qtl.log.location", logFilePath); //replacing ${qtl.log.location} by the logFilePath in log4j.properties String directory = System.getProperty("user.dir");
      PropertyConfigurator.configure(directory + LOG_4J_PROPERTY_FILE);

when i run my program i get error of this type

java.io.FileNotFoundException:
           at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)
           at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
           at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
           at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:289)
           at org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.setFile(RollingFileAppender.java:165)
           at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:163)
           at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:256)
           at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:132)
           at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:96)
           at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigurator.java:654)
           at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:612)
           at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configureRootCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:509)
           at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:415)
           at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:316)
           at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configure(PropertyConfigurator.java:324)
           at com.impact.qtl12.imports.UI.CSVFile.QTL.main(QTL.java:964)

Edited by: Mayur Mitkari on Jan 2, 2013 12:53 AM

Edited by: Mayur Mitkari on Jan 2, 2013 12:54 AM

Edited by: Mayur Mitkari on Jan 2, 2013 12:55 AM
        • 1. Re: log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
          EJP
          I would say the directory containing the target file doesn't exist.
          • 2. Re: log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
            mjmjava
            I checked it out the directory exists and file also resides in the same directory , also i am getting, created log file when i am running the application

Edited by: Mayur Mitkari on Jan 2, 2013 4:40 AM
            • 3. Re: log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
              gimbal2
              Mayur Mitkari wrote:
              I checked it out the directory exists
              Really? You have a directory 'src' in the root of your filesystem?
              /src/com/...
              EDIT: never mind, moving along, I missed a bit of code there... In my own defense, use \
               formatting tags to make it slightly more inviting to read it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
              • 4. Re: log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
                mjmjava
                i try to load it from bin folder , but then also it was throwing same error
                • 5. Re: log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
                  gimbal2
                  Mayur Mitkari wrote:
                  i try to load it from bin folder , but then also it was throwing same error
                  Sorry, I missed a bit of code so I was barking up the wrong tree.

I don't know what's going on here, I've never had issues with log4j 1.12+ and using a log4j.xml file in stead of a properties file. Granted, I never use parameterized paths in the config file, I just hardcode the path in the configuration file itself. If you do that too, does the problem go away?
                  • 6. Re: log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
                    mjmjava
                    Hello
                    Does anybody has solution for this thread , if you have please help

Regards
                    Mayur Mitkari
                    • 7. Re: log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
                      EJP
                      Maybe you are setting the system property too late, so it is still null when the failing code executes. You can verify that with a println() easily enough.
                      • 8. Re: log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
                        mjmjava
                        Hello EJP , you are right

but there is problem
                        In my application , i am creating log file on the click of different function, now when i am setting all the statement in constructor of my class like this

System.setProperty("qtl.log.location", logFilePath);
                                       System.setProperty("qtl.log.create", createLogFilePath);
                                       System.setProperty("qtl.log.rollBack", rollbackLogFilePath);
                                       System.setProperty("qtl.log.validate", validateLogFilepath);
                                       System.setProperty("qtl.log.import", importLogFilePath);

and on the click of different functional buttons i am calling this seperately

PropertyConfigurator.configure("log4j.properties");

so all log files are created when i am launching my application with same content so wahat can i do in this case

Regards
                        Mayur Mitkari
                        • 9. Re: log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
                          EJP
                          I gather that you want to be able to change the log file location dynamically. However you still have to start off with a legal value, rather than null. You need to set something into that system property before any logging or log initialization takes place.

Alternatively you should just review the requirement. It's pretty unusual.