This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 8:52 PM by BillyVerreynne RSS

sqlplus shortcut

941949 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
hii ,
i installed 11.2.0.1 on my windows 7.how can i get sql in GUI mode in 11G on windwos 7? your help higly appreciated.
thanks.

Edited by: 938946 on Jan 3, 2013 3:50 AM
  • 1. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    ranit B Expert
    938946 wrote:
    hii ,
    i installed 11.2.0.1 on my windows 7.how can i get sql in GUI mode in 11G on windwos 7? your help higly appreciated.
    thanks.

With GUI ,do you mean an IDE or a Tool like Toad or SQL Developer ?
  • 2. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    BrendanP Journeyer
    Not available in 11g I think, but you can install a client - I think you need to go back to 9i to get a gui sqlplus - that should work with 11g database, except for some newer SQL syntax would not work.
  • 3. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    Karthick_Arp Guru
    938946 wrote:
    hii ,
    thanks.

You mean to say you installed Oracle DB Version 11.2.0.1 and you are looking for a Client tool to access the DB?

I would suggest SQL Developer (Its free)

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html
  • 4. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    941949 Explorer
    yes,i installed oracle client 11.2.0.1 and how can i get sqlplus in gui mode same like 10g.In 10g,after installation of 10g oracle client or database on iwndows platform,we go to start>programs>oracle_home> development tools>sqlplus , create shortcut of sqlplus to desktop and when we click on this shortcut command prompt opens and also a small window opens and asking username,password.how can i get this same in 11.2.0.1 oracle client on windows 7.
  • 5. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    BrendanP Journeyer
    As I said, you can't
  • 6. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    You can create a normal shortcut of sqlplus.exe and put it on your desktop.

Only, this is a console application. Not a GUI application. Nothing wrong with that - console applications are often far superior than badly designed and bloated GUI applications.

To disable auto prompting of username and password (easier to type the connect manually with command line recall), edit the shortcut and add the parameter +/nolog+ to the Target property.

You can also change the Start In property to your personal/home directory containing your SQL scripts.
  • 7. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    941949 Explorer
    ok.
  • 8. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    Marwim Expert
    Do you really need the GUI? I never found a real advantage over the command line sqlplus.exe.
    With the command line version you can e.g. use the arrow keys or F7 for the command history

Regards
    Marcus
  • 9. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    William Robertson Oracle ACE
    Should be easy enough to set up a Windows shortcut to sqlplus.exe, as Marcus suggested.

www.williamrobertson.net/documents/sqlplus-setup.html
  • 10. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    user346369 Expert
    They'll have to pry my old sqlplusw.exe GUI version from my fingers after I'm dead. ;-)

I really like the ability to change the working directory by using the File, Open pull-down menu, open a dummy file. Then every script I run is run from that directory. I can't do that with sqlplus.exe -- I have to open a windows Explorer window, find the directory (I can never remember the exact path and spelling), then issue a sqlplus Host CD... command.

And I like the ability to use the mouse to highlight (select) text using the left-click (and hold), drag across the text, and then paste that text on the command line with a right-click. In sqlplus.exe, using the up/down arrow keys allow me to only copy a single line of a multi-line select. That makes copying a big query or pl/sql block a royal PITA -- I would never use the arrow keys.

In sqlplus.exe, copying a block of code can be done by: right-click, select Mark, click and drag over the text, press Enter, right-click, select Paste. Yeah, I could get used to that, but the GUI method is easier.
  • 11. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    EdStevens Guru
    Steve Cosner wrote:
    They'll have to pry my old sqlplusw.exe GUI version from my fingers after I'm dead. ;-)

I really like the ability to change the working directory by using the File, Open pull-down menu, open a dummy file. Then every script I run is run from that directory. I can't do that with sqlplus.exe -- I have to open a windows Explorer window, find the directory (I can never remember the exact path and spelling), then issue a sqlplus Host CD... command.

And I like the ability to use the mouse to highlight (select) text using the left-click (and hold), drag across the text, and then paste that text on the command line with a right-click. In sqlplus.exe, using the up/down arrow keys allow me to only copy a single line of a multi-line select. That makes copying a big query or pl/sql block a royal PITA -- I would never use the arrow keys.

In sqlplus.exe, copying a block of code can be done by: right-click, select Mark, click and drag over the text, press Enter, right-click, select Paste. Yeah, I could get used to that, but the GUI method is easier.
    FWIW, if you set your command prompt box properties to 'quick edit', you can eliminate the 'right-click, select Mark, ' and go straight to 'click and drag over the text ...'
  • 12. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    William Robertson Oracle ACE
    I can't say I've ever felt the need to change directory from within SQL*Plus - although I can imagine if that had become part of my way of working it would be frustrating to lose it. If I need to run a script from a Subversion/Perforce folder for example, I just drag it from Windows Explorer. I don't usually need to run multiple scripts like this though. And as Ed mentioned, you can copy and paste text using the mouse.
  • 13. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    WhiteHat Expert
    you can set the working directory on every shortcut (right-click -> properties -> Start in). for example I have a different shortcut for each environment that I regularly use and each has its own working directory. this way you can also set up different login.sql scripts.

I also mourned the death of the sqlplusw.exe but now I don't look back.

also: green text on the black command prompt background increases your geek gred and dazzles the business people. :-)
  • 14. Re: sqlplus shortcut
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Steve Cosner wrote:

That is because you are using sqlplus as if it is a GUI. I don't blame using that approach on Windows - with its oh-so-crappy console window interface and dorky DOS command set.
    And I like the ability to use the mouse to highlight (select) text using the left-click (and hold), drag across the text, and then paste that text on the command line with a right-click.
    Works fine in console windows on Linux. Even better. You highlight text and paste that highlighted text with the middle mouse button (clipboard 1). Or do it the conventional way using the properties menu (or ctrl keystrokes) for copying and pasting (clipboard 2).

rlwrap provides a command line editing interface. And konsole (KDE's console program) provides a multi-tab console window.

So I typically run sqlplus in one or two tabbed windows, vim editing source code files (checked out from subversion) in other tabbed windows (with syntax highlighting), and a single keystroke to switch (shift plus left/right arrow) between tabs and go from sqlplus to the editor and back.

I have watched colleagues using TOAD and SQL-Developer... and they write and test software a lot slower as they need to use a lot physical interaction. I seldom have to lift my hands from the keyboard to touch and use the mouse - which means less delay between different actions as it is not a stop-and-start affair between using the keyboard interface one moment, and the mouse interface the next.

Then there is the cube desktop that enables me to use ctrl-shift plus right/left arrow to rotate the desktop and display the desktop face running Firefox (for Oracle manuals) or Chrome (for developing and testing Apex apps).

I honestly don't get it - using Windows. It is fine as a gaming platform. But for the type of development one does in Oracle? It lacks. In each and every respect. Despite bloated crutchware such as TOAD. Or command line tools compiled with a GDI canvas interface like sqlplusw (which I last did using Turbo Pascal for Windows on WFW3.11 when porting my DOS console apps to 16bit Windows).

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points