Currently Being Moderated
Hello Guys,

I have this scenario:
- Oracle 11.2.0.3
- RHEL 4.6 64 bits
- Active Data Guard
- Broker configured
- DBconsole configured on primary server

Now, I have server PRIM with the primary database, and server STB with the standby server. For now, the dbconsole is configured in the PRIM server.
When I do a switchover (to the standby on STB), EM is not configured, so I use RepManager.sh to clean the sysman user, and I use emca to recreate the dbconsole. After this, everything works.
Once I switch back, the EM is no longer configured on PRIM, so I repeat the previous steps (repManager and emca).
Everything is ok after this. I can access the EM on the primary normaly, and this gets information from the broker to provide basic information on the STB (like db status, apply, and so forth).

my question is this:
- do I have to do all these steps in case of a switchover? is there an easier way?
- would grid control solve this situation?

thanks guys,
br,
jpinela.
  • 1. Re: EM (DB console) configuration after switchover
    CKPT Guru
    Pinela wrote:
    Hello Guys,

I have this scenario:
    - Oracle 11.2.0.3
    - RHEL 4.6 64 bits
    - Active Data Guard
    - Broker configured
    - DBconsole configured on primary server

Now, I have server PRIM with the primary database, and server STB with the standby server. For now, the dbconsole is configured in the PRIM server.
    When I do a switchover (to the standby on STB), EM is not configured, so I use RepManager.sh to clean the sysman user, and I use emca to recreate the dbconsole. After this, everything works.
    Once I switch back, the EM is no longer configured on PRIM, so I repeat the previous steps (repManager and emca).
    Everything is ok after this. I can access the EM on the primary normaly, and this gets information from the broker to provide basic information on the STB (like db status, apply, and so forth).

my question is this:
    - do I have to do all these steps in case of a switchover? is there an easier way?
    - would grid control solve this situation?

thanks guys,
    br,
    jpinela.
    Its a Good question. While configuring EM it gathers all the information such as hostname, instance name, port number , listener and so many..
    Of course configuration is not same on primary and standby, then EM configuration file properties mismatch with services after the switchover specifically if you are monitoring redo transport , apply and status so on....
    AFAIK, you must reconfigure again whenever there is frequent changes. BTW, reconfiguring EM which takes minutes of time.
  • 2. Re: EM (DB console) configuration after switchover
    Pinela Journeyer
    thks ckpt for the opinion.
    lets see if anybody has a better way. or confirms that that is or is not needed,

br,
    jpinela.
  • 3. Re: EM (DB console) configuration after switchover
    Pinela Journeyer
    well,

since no one gave any better ways, this will have to work in the future.
    thanks ckpt and team,

br,
    jpinela.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points