This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 11:46 AM by Roger25 RSS

1Z0-450 question

Roger25 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
From http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=5001&get_params=p_exam_id:1Z0-450&p_org_id=&lang= :
Effective June 1: This exam is updated to include Release 4. If you are currently registered for this exam, you should include all exam topics below in your preparation. New topics are marked with an asterisk [*].
But exactly, what version? 4.1? 4.2? should i know also the 4.2 or 4.1 new features? or it's enough to have a good knowledge of 4.0. Looking at the exam topics, it seems that 4.0 is sufficient?

Let's say if i read the 2 Day + Application Express Developer's Guide for 4.2 (from http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/doc.42/e35122/toc.htm), it's content includes all things from the same 2 Day + Application Express Developer's Guide but for 4.0, PLUS the new features of 4.2? or i should read first the developer's guide for 4.0 and then the one of 4.2?

Thanks

Edited by: Roger22 on 03.01.2013 16:43
  • 1. Re: 1Z0-450 question
    matthew_morris Expert
    Roger22 wrote:
    But exactly, what version? 4.1? 4.2? should i know also the 4.2 or 4.1 new features? or it's enough to have a good knowledge of 4.0.
    Looking at the exam topics, it seems that 4.0 is sufficient?
    4.0 should be sufficient. The tests don't change for each subrelease.
    Let's say if i read the 2 Day + Application Express Developer's Guide for 4.2...
    Personally I'd recommend studying 4.0 rather than 4.2 in preparing for the exam. The questions that involve capabilities (i.e. how do you do 'X') shouldn't be affected much if at all. 4.2 mainly added new capabilities rather than changing existing ones. New capabilities in 4.2 simply won't be on the test, so knowing them won't hurt. However, some of the exam is testing your familiarity with the interface. I haven't switched to 4.2 yet on the production box I do most of my development with -- still using 4.1 (largely because of all the posts I've seen in the Apex forum where people are encountering headaches in the change). However, the system where I have my hosted instance to support my study guides has been upgraded to 4.2. The look and feel of the development interface has changed a bit. I don't know that this will have any impact on questions on the test that refer to the interface, but it is at least conceivable.

By the same token, I'll tell you that reading the documentation is unlikely to be sufficient for this exam. You have to use Apex in order to be familiar enough with it to answer some of the questions.
  • 2. Re: 1Z0-450 question
    Roger25 Explorer
    Thanks.
    But why reading the documentation AND folowing the examples were unlikely to be sufficient for this exam? Of course, someone cannot read just the documentation, it will need practice too. Even if i haven't worked with APEX yet, i want to learn this and i think the documentations and examples (and other tutorials found on Google) are a good preparation for the exam.
  • 3. Re: 1Z0-450 question
    matthew_morris Expert
    But why reading the documentation AND folowing the examples were unlikely to be sufficient for this exam?
    1Z0-450 is one of the 'Expert' level exams. If it were possible to pass this exam by reading and following the examples from the 2 Day Application Express documentation, then that would be a very strong indicator to me that the expert designation was inappropriate.

I wrote a study guide for this exam and I will state that it was the hardest one to write of any that I have done. This is due in large part to the fact that much of this exam isn't about facts but about usage. To be an expert at Application Express, you must be really familiar with the interface. You won't get that from any book. I would add that to be truly expert, you also need to be good at PL/SQL and have a fair amount of JavaScript knowledge, but neither of these is in the exam. To have the best chance of passing the exam, you should spend time in the tool creating every possible object -- not once, but several times each.

There are a number of Oracle-By-Example tutorials in the Oracle Learning Library that can be useful in preparing for the exam. These walk through various aspects of the interface. Links to essentially all of them are available here:

http://www.oraclecertificationprep.com/apex/f?p=OCPSG:EXAM_DETAILS:0::NO::P2_EXAM:1Z0-450

Edited by: matthew_morris on Jan 3, 2013 3:08 PM (typo)
  • 4. Re: 1Z0-450 question
    Roger25 Explorer
    Thanks for that link, there are useful tutorials in the library. I will use as many resources as possible to study. Seems like that book was really hard for you to write.. ( http://www.amazon.com/Study-Guide-1Z0-450-Applications-Certification/dp/1470167999 ) . I wanted to buy it, but i think it isn't so good for preparation, as someone commented on amazon:

This book has all the contents of Oracle APEX but doesn't go much deep in explaining. As stated by author, this book is mostly for the users with prior knowledge of APEX.
    It has some good details, but I feel the overall content is inadequate. It doesn't specify what kind of approach is needed to prepare for exam.

Now i've started with Application Express Installation Guide, and i read all about installation. What is the next section from the documentation you recommend? Administrator Guide / Application Builder User's Guide / 2 Day + .......?

"1Z0-450 is one of the 'Expert' level exams." -- lol.. like 1Z0-047, isn't it? where there are many, many SQL features/functions which are not covered in the exam.

Edited by: Roger22 on 03.01.2013 19:15
  • 5. Re: 1Z0-450 question
    matthew_morris Expert
    I wanted to buy it, but i think it isn't so good for preparation, as someone commented on amazon:
    Actually, I read the review as them indicating that by itself the guide wasn't sufficient preparation... something I fully agree with. A significant portion of the reason why I took a couple of months away from writing new guides to create the supporting website with its links to other sources was due to that review. I also added additional suggestions at the start of the guide. It now suggests continuing study using those sources and also notes as I do in this thread that reading about Apex isn't sufficient preparation for the exam.
    Now i've started with Application Express Installation Guide, and i read all about installation. What is the next section from the
    documentation you recommend? Administrator Guide / Application Builder User's Guide / 2 Day + .......?
    Well, if my guide isn't any good, can you trust any recommendations that I make? :)

If you're new to Apex, I'd suggest going through the 2-Day guide and all of the associated OBE's. Don't rush through it and don't try to relate the steps to 1Z0-450 topics. Just use it to give yourself a grounding in the Apex development interface. After you've done that, I'd use the topic list from the OE site to start going over the individual points that will be on the test. Many should be familiar to you by that time from the 2-Day course. Any that you don't feel completely familiar with, look up in the Oracle documentation. If it is a topic about an activity rather than a piece of information, then start Apex and perform that activity -- preferably several times.
    "1Z0-450 is one of the 'Expert' level exams." -- lol.. like 1Z0-047, isn't it? where there are many,
    many SQL features/functions which are not covered in the exam.
    ...and which many people fail -- which is the point I was getting at.

Passing 1Z0-047 doesn't mean you know everything about SQL. Neither does passing 1Z0-450 mean that you are an expert at developing in Application Express. Both exams, however, are ones that OE has attempted to make difficult enough to pass that only people with a significant degree of knowledge on the subject can do so. You shouldn't be able to pass 1Z0-450 by using only the 2-Day Apex doc any more than you should be able to pass 1Z0-047 after skimming through the SQL Language Quick Reference manual.
  • 6. Re: 1Z0-450 question
    Roger25 Explorer
    I agree with you.
    Thanks for all:)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points