This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2013 2:32 PM by P6U-zer RSS

Project Gantt Bar Bug in P6 (EPPM and PM) - A strange and Unique Issue

P6U-zer Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello All,

I have 18 projects in my production EPS but one has a problem, i've been unable to resolve, so far.

The Issue*

In the Project-Layout-View (Project Space), when I look at project X's Gantt Bar, following is observed.

A- When he Project is Open:
All is good. There is no issue.
1- The bar length and position are good, i.e., it starts and ends at right location on the timescale.
2- The bar has two colours (blue for actual and green for remaining) separated at the point where the Data Date is.
3- Project Baseline Bar is all good

B- When the Project is Closed:
The Bar goes corrupt.
1- The bar starts at the right spot on timescale but goes beyond its forecast finish by about 1 year.
2- The whole bar has only one colour, blue, which mis-informs the viewer that the project has completed.
3- Project Baseline Bar stays good

Issue Environment"
- I have P6 V8.2 (stand alone) and P6 V8.0 (Enterprise) both on Win 7 and the issue appears in both.
- The issue appeared about halfway of the project progress.
- I've tried summarizing - but in vain

Look forward to seeing some interesting solution(s) from you.
Regards
  • 1. Re: Project Gantt Bar Bug in P6 (EPPM and PM) - A strange and Unique Issue
    depakpatel Newbie
    Hi there,

Are you summarizing your projects? If so, you'll need to find out if you can delete the one for the project in question and then summarize it again. See if that changes anything.

If you do not want to delete the project summary, then make a copy of the project and see if that has the same issue.

Good luck...
  • 2. Re: Project Gantt Bar Bug in P6 (EPPM and PM) - A strange and Unique Issue
    P6U-zer Newbie
    ----------------------------------- Problem Stil Exists -----------------------------------------------------
    Thanks 981092,

- Deleting summary data and re-summarizing the schedule does not help.
    - Copying project across another EPS does not help - problem remains in both.
    - Transferring to another P6 environment (tried standalone 8.2) via XER, transfers the problem along.
    - Have imported all possible date fields from the project into Excel to find any unusual date(s) - but all seems normal

----------------------------------- Problem Stil Exists -----------------------------------------------------
  • 3. Re: Project Gantt Bar Bug in P6 (EPPM and PM) - A strange and Unique Issue
    924630 Explorer
    Try creating the Layout from scratch. That is, open another Layout and build it back to this one. Layouts go corrupt every so often.
  • 4. Re: Project Gantt Bar Bug in P6 (EPPM and PM) - A strange and Unique Issue
    P6U-zer Newbie
    Thanks ITPM

Creating a new layout from scratch did not help.

But something else happened that fixed the problem.

The issue disappeared as soon as I updated the schedule in question with an updated XER, as our usual fortnightly exercise. So, looks like the issue started and ended in the source database.

Now, when I stack the latest as well as 20 archived copies of project X sorted by finish dates, and all closed, in the project layout view, I see a nicely (uniformly) increasing blue colour, project after project, except the last fortnight's archive copy whose Gantt bar is corrupt - corrupt as described in the very first text of this thread.

I still don’t know why and shall keep thinking about and shall ask the source re their view(s). This is not a serious issue for me but, could be serious to those fellows who have their summary/tracking layouts accessible (or designed to be accessible) by their project staff.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points