7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 12:37 AM by 930854 RSS

External table constarints

Hi all,

why external table doesnt support constraints?

Please advice.
        • 1. Re: External table constarints
          BluShadow
          927851 wrote:
          Hi all,

why external table doesnt support constraints?

Please advice.
          Because an external table is generally read-only, so you're not going to be inserting data that needs to be checked with constraints.
          • 2. Re: External table constarints
            ShishirTekadeR
            Oracle Database allows you read-only access to data in external tables. External tables are defined as tables that do not reside in the database, and can be in any format for which an access driver is provided. By providing the database with metadata describing an external table, the database is able to expose the data in the external table as if it were data residing in a regular database table. The external data can be queried directly and in parallel using SQL.
            please check below link for details:---
            http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14072_01/server.112/e10595/tables013.htm

Best Regards,
            Shishir Tekade.
            • 3. Re: External table constarints
              BluShadow
              ShishirTekadeR wrote:
              Oracle Database allows you read-only access to data in external tables.
              I said "generally read only" because they cannot have DML (insert,update or delete) done on them. However an external table can be defined as a datapump type and have a table's data dumped out (written to it) in datapump format... so strictly speaking an external table can be written to in a sense. ;)
              • 4. Re: External table constarints
                Thanks for your concerns, but am able to insert the data in external table.

eg, I am insert the data in external table spread sheet it is automatically updated in database table.

Please advice.
                • 5. Re: External table constarints
                  sb92075
                  927851 wrote:
                  Thanks for your concerns, but am able to insert the data in external table.

eg, I am insert the data in external table spread sheet it is automatically updated in database table.

Please advice.
                  how can we reproduce what you report?
                  • 6. Re: External table constarints
                    Chanchal Wankhade
                    Hi,

You can insert data in csv file manually but if you try to insert data from oracle then error will be encounter saying operation is not allowd here.
                    • 7. Re: External table constarints
                      sorry for the late reply. yes you are correct, i can't able to insert the data from oracle. Thanks for all your support. Now i got the clear result.