This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 6:47 AM by EdStevens RSS

Oracle Architecture 10g

ManivelJaya Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I am new to oracle.But I want learn Oracle DBA for my career.Any one help me for to learn Oracle architecture 10g .

Thanks and regards,
J Manivel
  • 1. Re: Oracle Architecture 10g
    Maran Viswarayar Pro
    You have hit the right place....

This is the place to start

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28318/toc.htm
  • 2. Re: Oracle Architecture 10g
    sb92075 Guru
    ManivelJaya wrote:
    Hi all,

I am new to oracle.But I want learn Oracle DBA for my career.Any one help me for to learn Oracle architecture 10g .

Thanks and regards,
    J Manivel
    Read The Fine Manual below

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25789/toc.htm

How do I ask a question on the forums?
    SQL and PL/SQL FAQ
  • 3. Re: Oracle Architecture 10g
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    10g is many years old. You should be looking at 11g.
  • 4. Re: Oracle Architecture 10g
    ManivelJaya Newbie
    hi,

ok.can you help me learn 11g.

Regards,
    J Manivel
  • 5. Re: Oracle Architecture 10g
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Learn what about 11g?

I have been using Oracle for almost 20 years now - and I am still learning about Oracle. It is big product, vast number of features, used in many different environments.

So you need to decide first what you want to learn.. after answering the question to yourself, "+why do you want to learn Oracle?+" specifically.

Then have a look at the downloads section at www.oracle.com and download the applicable s/w. If you want to learn o/s and DBA stuff, consider using VirtualBox to build database servers (for Linux and/or Windows).

If you want to learn application development stuff, download Oracle XE and use Apex for building web-based Oracle applications.

If you want to learn about database development stuff, download Oracle Data Modeller, SQL Developer and Oracle Enterprise Edition - model something basic (such as a video rental shop), implement the model in the database (learn about physical database design) and write basic PL/SQL code for implementing the business processes (e.g. video reservation using SQL Developer).

Etc.

Bottom line. If you want to learn, look at yourself - as you need to have the desire and commitment to learn and to achieve that in the most educational way possible. By hard earned experience. By doing stuff yourself. And not expect others to "teach" (spoon feed) you.
  • 6. Re: Oracle Architecture 10g
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    ManivelJaya wrote:
    Hi all,

That's the only thing that we all are struggling to learn. The best way to start is to read the Concepts guide of 11.2 from http://tahiti.oracle.com . Start reading it and bring doubts here .

Aman....
  • 7. Re: Oracle Architecture 10g
    EdStevens Guru
    ManivelJaya wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks and regards,
    J Manivel
    =================================================
    Learning how to look things up in the documentation is time well spent investing in your career. To that end, you should drop everything else you are doing and do the following:

Go to tahiti.oracle.com.

Drill down to your product and version.

<b><i><u>BOOKMARK THAT LOCATION</u></i></b>

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what is available here. Take special note of the "books" and "search" tabs. Under the "books" tab (for 10.x) or the "Master Book List" link (for 11.x) you will find the complete documentation library.

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of documentation is available there by simply browsing the titles under the "Books" tab.

Open the Reference Manual and spend a few minutes looking through the table of contents to get familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of information is available there.

Do the same with the SQL Reference Manual.

Do the same with the Utilities manual.

You don't have to read the above in depth. They are <b><i><u>reference</b></i></u> manuals. Just get familiar with <b><i><u>what</b></i></u> is there to <b><i><u>be</b></i></u> referenced. Ninety percent of the questions asked on this forum can be answered in less than 5 minutes by simply searching one of the above manuals.

Then set yourself a plan to dig deeper.
    - Read a chapter a day from the Concepts Manual.
    - Take a look in your alert log. One of the first things listed at startup is the initialization parms with non-default values. Read up on each one of them (listed in your alert log) in the Reference Manual.
    - Take a look at your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora files. Go to the Network Administrators manual and read up on everything you see in those files.
    - When you have finished reading the Concepts Manual, do it again.

=================================