This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2013 3:35 AM by Nattu RSS

Apex Listener 2.0 on Oracle apex 4.2 with Oracle 11g XE

Nattu Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Should we have application server like Glassfish or Apache Tomcat for running Apex 2.0 on Apex 4.2 with Oracle 11g XE?. (I know we don't need an app server for running APEX on Oracle Express Edition 10g onwards, but not sure for Apex Listener).

For me, the listener 2.0 running without an app server works fine but not for RESTful services. I understand from the documentation that Java servlet specification 2.3 needs to be deployed in order to use RESTful services. However I couldn't find a place to deploy the servlet. I tried to keep servlet.jar in the WEB-INF or WEB-INF/lib directory of apex listener configuration folder and expected that servlet be invoked, but as soon as the listener is started the servlet.jar file is automatically deleted. Is this a problem for not working for the RESTful services?, if so, what way I can deploy the servlet or should I have a application server and then to deploy the servlet?.

Please advise.

Regards,

Natarajan
  • 1. Re: Apex Listener 2.0 on Oracle apex 4.2 with Oracle 11g XE
    Prabodh Guru
    Hi Nattu,
    Should we have application server like Glassfish or Apache Tomcat for running Apex 2.0 on Apex 4.2 with Oracle 11g XE?. (I know we don't need an app server for running APEX on Oracle Express Edition 10g onwards, but not sure for Apex Listener).
    For Production environments it is advisable to deploy ApexListener in a JEE Container/Appserver like OC4J/GF/WLS/Tomcat. See documentation for officially supported JEE Containers.
    Apache is a web server, not App Server/JEE Container, it has no direct role to play in deploying ApexListener.
    For RESTful web services you need ApexListener, preferably version 2.0 as it has many enhancements in this area. Not EPG or OHS.
    >

For me, the listener 2.0 running without an app server works fine but not for RESTful services. >
    RESTful ought to work with Standalone mode.
    I understand from the documentation that Java servlet specification 2.3 needs to be deployed in order to use RESTful services.
    The Standalone mode uses Grizzly, which runs the ApexListener Servlet . So, RESTful should work if the setup is right.
    However I couldn't find a place to deploy the servlet. I tried to keep servlet.jar in the WEB-INF or WEB-INF/lib directory of apex listener configuration folder and expected that servlet be invoked, but as soon as the listener is started the servlet.jar file is automatically deleted. Is this a problem for not working for the RESTful services?, if so, what way I can deploy the servlet or should I have a application server and then to deploy the servlet?.
    If you want to deploy your own servlets then you would be better off using a JEE Container. Deploy your servlets on the JEE Container along with ApexListener and you will be ok.

Having said that it might be possible to run your custom servlets in Grizzly as well, its just that I haven't done work in Grizzly so cannot show a way.

Cheers,
  • 2. Re: Apex Listener 2.0 on Oracle apex 4.2 with Oracle 11g XE
    Roger25 Explorer
    "RESTful ought to work with Standalone mode."

And if i choose to deploy ApexListener with Glassfish for example, RESTful will not work?
  • 3. Re: Apex Listener 2.0 on Oracle apex 4.2 with Oracle 11g XE
    Prabodh Guru
    "RESTful ought to work with Standalone mode."
    And if i choose to deploy ApexListener with Glassfish for example, RESTful will not work?>

By saying it should work in Standalone does not mean it will not work with JEE Container. I have not at any point suggested it will not work with JEE Container.

If you deploy ApexListener in a JEE Container, RESTful will surely work, I use it with GF for RESTful.

Cheers,
  • 4. Re: Apex Listener 2.0 on Oracle apex 4.2 with Oracle 11g XE
    Nattu Explorer
    Thank you Probodh, for your reply. I was correct on not having an app server, however, with listener 2.0 running as a stand alone mode, the RESTful service is not working at all, every thing else is working just fine. I am able to login on to apex, run the sample applications etc, but when I tried the link for the web services, it throws 404 Page not found error. I tried with all possibilities for URL mapping thro the SQL Developer, but everything failed, so I was leaning to go for an app server. (I mentioned the issue in the another thread Re: RESTful web services throws page not found error in apex listener unfortunately I did not get answer for it and have been struggling with that issue for last 3 days).

In your latest reply, you said Running listener with GF works for the listener, so me going for a GF be helpful to resolve the issue?

Regards,

Natarajan
  • 5. Re: Apex Listener 2.0 on Oracle apex 4.2 with Oracle 11g XE
    Prabodh Guru
    Hi,

Now strange as you may find it, I do not use SQLDeveloper to manage ApexListener, and hence cannot offer any assistance in using SQLDeveloper for this purpose.
    I configure from the command prompt. And I have GF running RESTful.

ApexListener 2.0 EA on GF 3.2.x, Apex 4.2, Oracle 11g (XE , SE, EE). That is the summary of my various stacks. I have RESTful based on Report Regions as well as declared through SQLWorkshop/ Resource Template of old.

Cheers,
  • 6. Re: Apex Listener 2.0 on Oracle apex 4.2 with Oracle 11g XE
    Nattu Explorer
    Thanks again Probodh. I understand and by knowing the listener with GF is success for RESTful services, it makes me to think again to go for GF, so that at least I can see log reports on apex listener and I can see where it fails with the RESTful service. One question again, Shall I configure the same Listener to configure on GF or should I start afresh?

Regards,

Natarajan
  • 7. Re: Apex Listener 2.0 on Oracle apex 4.2 with Oracle 11g XE
    Prabodh Guru
    Thanks again Probodh. I understand and by knowing the listener with GF is success for RESTful services, it makes me to think again to go for GF, so that at least I can see log reports on apex listener and I can see where it fails with the RESTful service. One question again, Shall I configure the same Listener to configure on GF or should I start afresh?
    If GF is on the same machine where you have been running it in Standalone mode then you can use the same apex.war. You will additionally need to create the i.war for deploying on GF.

Cheers,
  • 8. Re: Apex Listener 2.0 on Oracle apex 4.2 with Oracle 11g XE
    Nattu Explorer
    Thank you Probodh, I have just started installing GF, will update the staus.

Edited by: Nattu on Jan 7, 2013 3:34 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points