This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 7:19 AM by User498565-OC RSS

RMAN Newbie question

User498565-OC Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am new to Oralce and I've recently turned on ARCHIVELOGMODE for our Oracle database so that I can perform hot backups. Ive also setup CRONTAB on our linux server to run the following script so that RMAN backs up. I left out all the other linux stuff for simplicity.

run {
     DELETE NOPROMPT BACKUP;     
     BACKUP DEVICE TYPE DISK TAG '%TAG' DATABASE;
     BACKUP DEVICE TYPE DISK TAG '%TAG' ARCHIVELOG ALL NOT BACKED UP DELETE ALL INPUT;
}

I do a full backup nightly, but before RMAN deletes the prior night's backup due to limitation of space. By that time our backup server has copied the backup files into tape anyway. It backups up using the conrol file. It also backs up the archive logs and deletes them afterwards, again do to space constraints.

My question is as follows:

Is this a good backup strategy to have?

Is there any other command that I may be missing from my script that would be useful?

Any other suggestions?

Your help will be much appreciated, thank you in advanced.
  • 1. Re: RMAN Newbie question
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;
     before RMAN deletes the prior night's backup due to limitation of space
    Not good, you might delete the only good backup you have. If your system fails at the wrong time you could be in big trouble.

You need to add space.

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 2. Re: RMAN Newbie question
    User498565-OC Newbie
    Unfortunatelly I am limited in the amount of hard drive space available. The good thing is that before RMAN deletes the backup files, my backup server copies those files into tape. So if I ever need to restore an older backup my theory is I can restore the backup files from tape first and then use RMAN to restore the backups.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points