This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 7:51 AM by user10857924 RSS

Query using 'having count' taking forever

587951 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I was wondering if someone had some advice for me. In my Oracle 10.2.0.4 database, I have 2 tables called PRDCTN and RQST_225K. The RQST_225K contains RQST_ID, CSTMR_NMBR and PHT_ID. This table contains only the latest PHT_ID for a particular customer. The PRDCTN table contains the same fields with the addition of a RQST_STTS_CODE field, and contains all past PHT_ID as well as the current PHT_ID for a particular customer.

In a nutshell, I want to write a query to select all customer numbers from the PRDCTN table, that exist in the RQST_225K table, that are also in status 400 and that have at least 2 distinct PHT_ID existing for that customer. Here is what I wrote:

select p.cstmr_nmbr from prdctn p where p.rqst_stts_code = 400 and p.cstmr_nmbr in (select r.cstmr_nmbr from rqst_225k r ) having count (distinct p.pht_id) > 2 group by p.cstmr_nmbr;

This query is taking forever to run because it is doing 2 full table scans. Does anyone have any tips on how this could be written to run faster? Thanks everyone
  • 1. Re: Query using 'having count' taking forever
    636309 Newbie
    user584948 wrote:
    I was wondering if someone had some advice for me. In my Oracle 10.2.0.4 database, I have 2 tables called PRDCTN and RQST_225K. The RQST_225K contains RQST_ID, CSTMR_NMBR and PHT_ID. This table contains only the latest PHT_ID for a particular customer. The PRDCTN table contains the same fields with the addition of a RQST_STTS_CODE field, and contains all past PHT_ID as well as the current PHT_ID for a particular customer.

In a nutshell, I want to write a query to select all customer numbers from the PRDCTN table, that exist in the RQST_225K table, that are also in status 400 and that have at least 2 distinct PHT_ID existing for that customer. Here is what I wrote:

select p.cstmr_nmbr from prdctn p where p.rqst_stts_code = 400 and p.cstmr_nmbr in (select r.cstmr_nmbr from rqst_225k r ) having count (distinct p.pht_id) > 2 group by p.cstmr_nmbr;

This query is taking forever to run because it is doing 2 full table scans. Does anyone have any tips on how this could be written to run faster? Thanks everyone
    Maybe this is what you need.

select a.cstmr_nmbr
    (select p.cstmr_nmbr, p.pht_id
    from prdctn p
    where p.rqst_stts_code = 400
    and p.cstmr_nmbr in (select r.cstmr_nmbr from rqst_225k r )
    group by p.cstmr_nmbr
    having count(*) = 1) a
    group by a.cstmr_nmbr
    having count(*) > 1
  • 2. Re: Query using 'having count' taking forever
    Purvesh K Guru
    user584948 wrote:

Another way of writing:
    select p.cstmr_nmbr
      from prdctn p
        and exists (select 'x' from rqst_225k r where p.cstmr_nmbr = r.cstmr_nmbr)
     group by p.cstmr_nmbr
    having count(p.pht_id) > 1;    --> Since you need atleast 2, > 2 would be wrong.
    How long does the query take? And did you check the explain plan if its actually doing a Full Table scan?
    If it does, you are probably missing some indexes, perhaps on prdctn.rqst_stts_code and prdctn.cstmr_nmbr.

If you have problem with query execution, then I would suggest to read {message:id=3292438} and post the mentioned details.

To keep the code formatted, use {noformat}
    {noformat} (exactly as written and in smaller case) before and after the code/explain plan. It helps keep the plan and code readable.

Edited by: Purvesh K on Jan 4, 2013 10:10 AM
    Changed Having Count column                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
  • 3. Re: Query using 'having count' taking forever
    jeneesh Guru
    Purvesh K wrote:
    Another way of writing:
    group by p.cstmr_nmbr
    having count(distinct p.cstmr_nmbr) > 1;    --> Since you need atleast 2, > 2 would be wrong.
    Count will be always 1, right?
  • 4. Re: Query using 'having count' taking forever
    Purvesh K Guru
    jeneesh wrote:
    Count will be always 1, right?
    Yes, Jeneesh. I have modified the query to count the PHT_ID, which as OP says, is not the same for each customer.
  • 5. Re: Query using 'having count' taking forever
    587951 Newbie
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry...I meant to say that I want to return at least 3 records, so that is why I had 'having count (distinct p.pht_id) > 2'. I am attaching the explain plans for my original query, as well as the explain plan for your modified query:

--My original query
    select p.cstmr_nmbr from prdctn p where p.rqst_stts_code = 400 and p.cstmr_nmbr in (select r.screen_cust_no from rqst_225k r where r.pht_id is not null) having count (distinct p.pht_id) > 2 group by p.cstmr_nmbr;
    PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Plan hash value: 2223796732

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Id  | Operation                              | Name                  | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)| Time     | Pstart| Pstop |
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |   0 | SELECT STATEMENT                       |                       |    51 |  1887 |   232K  (1)| 00:46:33 |       |       |
    |*  1 |  FILTER                                |                       |       |       |            |          |       |       |
    |   2 |   SORT GROUP BY                        |                       |    51 |  1887 |   232K  (1)| 00:46:33 |       |       |
    |*  3 |    TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID         | RQST_225K             |     1 |    16 |     4   (0)| 00:00:01 |       |       |
    |   4 |     NESTED LOOPS                       |                       |  1001 | 37037 |   232K  (1)| 00:46:33 |       |       |
    |*  5 |      TABLE ACCESS BY GLOBAL INDEX ROWID| PRDCTN                |    37M|   749M| 79547   (1)| 00:15:55 | ROWID | ROWID |
    |   6 |       INDEX FULL SCAN                  | PRDCTN_CSTMR_NMBR_IDX | 80315 |       |   337   (1)| 00:00:05 |       |       |
    |*  7 |      INDEX RANGE SCAN                  | RQST225K_CUST_IDX     |     1 |       |     2   (0)| 00:00:01 |       |       |

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):
    ---------------------------------------------------

1 - filter(COUNT(DISTINCT "P"."PHT_ID")>2)
       3 - filter("R"."PHT_ID" IS NOT NULL)
       5 - filter("P"."RQST_STTS_CODE"=400)
       7 - access("P"."CSTMR_NMBR"="R"."SCREEN_CUST_NO")

22 rows selected.
    --Your modified query
    select p.cstmr_nmbr
      from prdctn p
        and exists (select 'x' from rqst_225k r where p.cstmr_nmbr = r.screen_cust_no)
     group by p.cstmr_nmbr
    having count(p.pht_id) > 2;
    PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Plan hash value: 40388322

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Id  | Operation                             | Name                  | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)| Time     | Pstart| Pstop |
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |   0 | SELECT STATEMENT                      |                       |    51 |  1581 |   156K  (1)| 00:31:18 |       |       |
    |*  1 |  FILTER                               |                       |       |       |            |          |       |       |
    |   2 |   SORT GROUP BY NOSORT                |                       |    51 |  1581 |   156K  (1)| 00:31:18 |       |       |
    |   3 |    NESTED LOOPS SEMI                  |                       |  1001 | 31031 |   156K  (1)| 00:31:18 |       |       |
    |*  4 |     TABLE ACCESS BY GLOBAL INDEX ROWID| PRDCTN                |    37M|   749M| 80048   (1)| 00:16:01 | ROWID | ROWID |
    |   5 |      INDEX FULL SCAN                  | PRDCTN_CSTMR_NMBR_IDX | 80821 |       |   339   (1)| 00:00:05 |       |       |
    |*  6 |     INDEX RANGE SCAN                  | RQST225K_CUST_IDX     |  3134 | 31340 |     2   (0)| 00:00:01 |       |       |

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):
    ---------------------------------------------------

1 - filter(COUNT("P"."PHT_ID")>2)
       4 - filter("P"."RQST_STTS_CODE"=400)
       6 - access("P"."CSTMR_NMBR"="R"."SCREEN_CUST_NO")

20 rows selected.
    I currently have your query running for the past 20 minutes, and nothing has come back yet. Thanks again.
  • 6. Re: Query using 'having count' taking forever
    user10857924 Journeyer
    is your stats are up-todate?

plan shows 37M rows retrive from PRDCTN table via global index but the nested loop output only 1001 rows means lots of rows not found in other table (rqst_225k).
    oracle is going for full scans in order to avoid sort which is seen in plan by nosort operation.

I think if you create index on column prdctn.rqst_stts_code that might help.

also you can try re-write query as below
    select p.cstmr_nmbr
    from prdctn p, rqst_225k r 
    where p.rqst_stts_code = 400 and p.cstmr_nmbr = r.screen_cust_no
    group by p.cstmr_nmbr
    having count(distinct p.pht_id) > 2;
    HTH...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points