This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 10:27 AM by trishl RSS

Instant client 64 bit

trishl Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
HI,

I have a new compiuter that I am setting up. It was origionally installed as a 32 bit. However, a problem resulted in a re-build and OS 64 bit was installed. Now I am trying to install the ODBC 64 bit version and connect to Visual Studio. I have tried several times and I can create the ODBC connection fine,but when I try to use it from Visual Studio it gives me an error stating:

Attempt to load Oracle Client libraries threw BadImageFormatException. This problem will occur when running 64 bit mode with the 32 bit Oracle client components installed.

I have tried the Instant client x 64 11.2.2
and several lower versions, but with the same results.

When I create the ODBC connection I do see that the driver is SQOAR32.dll

I am on a Windows 7 Machine.

How do I get the 64 bit version installed?

Thanks,
Trish
  • 1. Re: Instant client 64 bit
    Tridus Journeyer
    64 bit clients can be downloaded from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/downloads/index.html

That said, Visual Studio itself is 32 bit, so if you want the developer tools to work, you'll need a 32 bit client. If you're not using the developer tools in your project and you're compiling your project for AnyCPU or x64, the 64 bit client will work. If you're compiling for x86, you need the 32 bit client. (If you want to do both, you'll need two clients installed.)

edit - Actually, it looks like in this case you might be running into a problem of needing a 32 bit client & ODBC connection. The error mesage could be misleading here as Visual Studio itself is 32 bit. Did you create the ODBC connection using control panel? If so, that's a 64 bit connection.

32 bit ones are created using c:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe

Edited by: Tridus on Jan 3, 2013 3:24 PM

Edited by: Tridus on Jan 3, 2013 3:24 PM
  • 2. Re: Instant client 64 bit
    trishl Newbie
    I'm just trying to get the reports projects working. That's where I get the error on the Datasource.

So I uninstalled the 64 bit version and dowloaded the most recent 32 bit version, but it won't install. I run throught the same process of extracting all the files and running the Instal, but when I go to setup the ODBC connection I do not see the Oracle version listed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Trish
  • 3. Re: Instant client 64 bit
    Tridus Journeyer
    Are you looking in the right place for the ODBC connections? As I mentioned, there's two of them in a 64 bit Windows, and only one of them can do 32 bit connections.

Beyond that, which installer did you use? The universal installer version will install the ODBC driver by default, but some of the xcopy type installs require an extra step to actually install it.
  • 4. Re: Instant client 64 bit
    trishl Newbie
    OK, I'm really confused. Sorry.

I was just clicking on the odbc_install and typically that installs it and then I would go to the control panel and see it there.

So are you saying use the 64 bit version but install it using the script below? or do I use the 32 bit client and install using the script?

c:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe

Do I still extract the files into folder al togther or is there other instructions?

Sorry for the bother.

THanks,
    Trish
  • 5. Re: Instant client 64 bit
    Tridus Journeyer
    c:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe is the 32 bit version of the ODBC control panel. It's what you use to create the connection (instead of the one in control panel) after you already install the ODBC driver. So you'll have to do the installation steps first. :)
  • 6. Re: Instant client 64 bit
    trishl Newbie
    First, I would really like to thank you for all your help!!!

Now I was able to get the ODBC connection setup and from the ODBC test it works fine. However from the Data source when I test the connection I am now getting an 'Invalid user name/Password'. I am using the same on both.

Do you have any idease what would cause this?

Thanks,
    Trish
  • 7. Re: Instant client 64 bit
    trishl Newbie
    Never mind, I think the problem is that the password was saved, but somehow when I downloaded to the new computer, the password really isn't saved and I have to re-enter it.

THanks for all the help!!
  • 8. Re: Instant client 64 bit
    trishl Newbie
    Thanks again for the excellent help!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points