This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2013 6:42 AM by san_crazy Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Currently Being Moderated
    The only currently certified database version on Linux 6.x is 11.2.0.3 - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/relnotes.112/e23558/toc.htm#CHDFHIEA

11.2.0.3 is only available for customers who have a paid support contract with Oracle. If you downloaded 11.2.0.1 from OTN, then you will need to use Linux 5.x

Having said that, the install process does not differ much (or at all) between 11.2.0.1/11.2.0.3 and Linux 5.x/6.x

HTH
    Srini
  • 16. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    san_crazy Newbie
    sb92075 wrote:
    ODBC
    JDBC
    http://www.squirrelsql.org/
    Thanks, I will give it a try but please note that my ultimate goal was to connect peoplesoft applications to DB server running on Windows host, through DB client. will the software you suggested will serve my need? If not then there is no point installing it on guest machine.
  • 17. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    Do you have a separate & complete Peoplesoft install, or are you trying to install the database as part of the Peoplesoft install ? If the latter, you should be following the Peoplesoft install instructions.

HTH
    Srini
  • 18. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    san_crazy Newbie
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    Do you have a separate & complete Peoplesoft install, or are you trying to install the database as part of the Peoplesoft install ? If the latter, you should be following the Peoplesoft install instructions.

HTH
    Srini
    Yes, I have separate peoplesoft install.
    Ok, Let me put it this way - I am trying to build peoplesoft architecture in such a way where the database server is running on a Windows Host but other servers (Web server, app server ,batch server), Peopletools ,PIA will be installed on Linux guest.
    So now, We have two machines, one is running DB server and another is running web, app, batch servers and also PIA and Peopletools.
    so far so good.

But then, the question is - Can app server, Peopletools and PIA running on Linux guest connect to DB server running on windows host without DB client installed on guest machine?
  • 19. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    If you already have a database running on the Linux VM as part of the Peoplesoft install, then that database ORACLE_HOME already contains the client components required to connect to any database available on the network. Assuming the Linux guest can "see" and ping the Windows host, all that will be required is to edit the tnsnames.ora file in the TNS_ADMIN directory on the Linux guest and add the connection information of the Windows database install to the file. You should then be able to connect from the Linux guest to the Windows host using a command like "connect <user>/<password>@<name_in_tns_file_for_windows_database>"

I cannot specifically answer whether the Peoplesoft binaries will be able to access the Windows database, since I do not have any Peoplesoft experience. But the solution will be very similar if the Peoplesoft binaries are part of an ORACLE_HOME. The tnsnames.ora file in the TNS_ADMIN directory of that home will need to be modified to include the connection information to the Windows database.

HTH
    Srini
  • 20. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    sb92075 Guru
    san_crazy wrote:

But then, the question is - Can app server, Peopletools and PIA running on Linux guest connect to DB server running on windows host without DB client installed on guest machine?
    You should be posting you question on App Server, Peoplesoft, & PIA forum; not here.
    Oracle DB does not care about which flavor of client connects to it.
  • 21. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    orafad Oracle ACE
    san_crazy wrote:
    Yes, I have separate peoplesoft install.
    Ok, Let me put it this way - I am trying to build peoplesoft architecture in such a way where the database server is running on a Windows Host but
    other servers (Web server, app server ,batch server), Peopletools ,PIA will be installed on Linux guest.
    As said, it seems you have a "Peoplesoft" installation question, not for a Oracle Database Installation forum.

One question that you could consider (for that other forum, perhaps) - Are app servers certified on OL 6.3? (check MOS, Certification matrix) Maybe you need to start over on 5.7.

Some sort of db connectivity software is needed, yes. In this case there may be need for both OCI and java database client software. For the former (OCI), and maybe latter if using thick jdbc, check out Instant Client.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/linuxx86-64soft-092277.html
  • 22. Re: unable to install oracle database client on Linux
    san_crazy Newbie
    Thanks all, I will install OL 5.7 and start over again.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points