Java, which had been working fine, recently stopped working with Internet Explorer on my Alienware M11x running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. I originally had IE 9 installed. I'm using the 32-bit IE and am loading the 32-bit Java version. Over the last 3 days I tried all of the following multiple times and in different orders:
Removed Java (both using Windows Programs and Features and using JavaRa) and reinstalled Version 7 Update 10 (both through their web site and by using the manual installation file), tried earlier Java versions, cleaned Java's Temporary Internet files, deleted IE's temporary files and cookies, run the Windows Fixit tool, reset IE to its default Internet settings, and cleaned the Windows registry of Java entries multiple ways: manually, using JavaRa, and using PC Tools Performance Toolkit. After unsuccessfully trying to get Java to run on IE9 I reverted to IE8 and went through the same processes without success.
Consistently what happens is that after installing Java (and verifying that it's enabled in IE's Add-Ons list) I go to Java's Verify Version Page and it tells me that I have the latest version installed. I then close IE, reopen it, and try the Verify version again -- this time the verifier just spins, and spins, and spins, and never finds anything. When I go to a Java app on a webpage it pops up a message stating that I need Java. And yes, IE's Manage Add-Ons screen tells me that the Java components are there and enabled.
Last night I installed Firefox and Java works fine with it. If I go to the same sites with IE it tells me I need to install Java. While I have no problem using Firefox as my default browser, I don't like to let computer problems like this go unsolved. I've been using computers since 1964 (almost 50 years??? god I'm old!!) and this is the first problem like this that has me completely stumped. Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.
IE, depending on the tag used on the webpage, will determine if Java is installed. Object tag, applet tag or embed.
The new enable/disable Java feature in 7u10 may be an easy way to reset one of the values if one is out of whack.
Disable and then Enable from the control panel: https://www.java.com/en/download/help/disable_browser.xml
Make sure to restart the browser each time.
Seems I spoke too soon. The suggestion worked one time, then IE lost Java again. After disabling Java in the browser through the control panel my wife went to www.pogo.com and tried to load one of her games, and it loaded successfully. She closed the browser, finished what she had been doing, then opened IE and went back to the Pogo site. This time the game wouldn't load and the "needs Java" message popped up. This time disabling and reenabling Java in the browser through the control panel as before doesn't help. Her game still gives the "needs Java" message. I haven't tried rebooting the computer as my wife needs to finish some work, but I'll try that when she's through and see if that has any effect.
Tried rebooting the PC then disabling/reenabling Java in the browser through the Java control panel as before. Also tried deleting the temporary internet files through the Java control panel. Still getting the "need Java" message. The IE Manage Add-Ons screen shows that the Java components are there and enabled. As before, Java is working fine through Firefox.
I'm going to give this a rest tonight and go play poker. :) If you have any further suggestions please post them and I'll give it a try again tomorrow. Many thanks for your help!