This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 10:24 AM by user626836 RSS

Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2

user626836 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everyone,
I have 2 servers, one has Windows Server 2003 with Oracle 10g R2 and the other one has Windows Server 2008 with Oracle 11g R2, so all of my data are stored in my Oracle 10g R2 server and I would like to import all of my data to my new Oracle 11g R2 Server. I executed an export on my 10g R2 server using the command exp and I tried to import it into my new server, but I receive lots of warnings and the data are never imported.
Is there any step by step instruction on how to perform the import on my new 11g R2 server?
Thanks in advance!!
  • 1. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    sb92075 Guru
    user626836 wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    I have 2 servers, one has Windows Server 2003 with Oracle 10g R2 and the other one has Windows Server 2008 with Oracle 11g R2, so all of my data are stored in my Oracle 10g R2 server and I would like to import all of my data to my new Oracle 11g R2 Server. I executed an export on my 10g R2 server using the command exp and I tried to import it into my new server, but I receive lots of warnings and the data are never imported.
    Is there any step by step instruction on how to perform the import on my new 11g R2 server?
    Thanks in advance!!
    was exp or expdp used to export the data?

post actual & complete command that was used to "export" on 10g R2 Server.

Handle:     user626836
    Status Level:     Newbie
    Total Posts:     367
    Total Questions:     88 (25 unresolved)
  • 2. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    user626836 Newbie
    Hi and thanks for your reply,
    I used exp to run the export on my 10g R2 server and the export succeded, but when I go to my new 11g server the databases are not imported.
  • 3. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    sb92075 Guru
    does the V11 have the same directory structure as the V10 DB?
    if not, you will need to CREATE TABLESPACES before issuing imp command.
  • 4. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    user626836 Newbie
    Do you mean the database structure? If this is what you meant, then I don't have any table created yet on my new 11g R2 server.
  • 5. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    Mark Williams-Oracle Employee ACE
    user626836 wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks in advance!!
    Why don't you provide a copy/paste of the imp output so we can have a better idea of what sort of warnings/errors you are seeing?
  • 6. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    sb92075 Guru
    user626836 wrote:
    Hi and thanks for your reply,
    I used exp to run the export on my 10g R2 server and the export succeded, but when I go to my new 11g server the databases are not imported.
    while above is most likely 100% true, but is also 100% devoid of any actionable detail.

my car won't go.
    tell me how to make my car go.

How do I ask a question on the forums?
    SQL and PL/SQL FAQ
  • 7. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    user626836 Newbie
    Hi Mark and thanks for your reply,
    I can't give you that copy and paste screen now because where I am now is 10 PM right now and I already left my job site, so tomorrow is Sunday which is a free day for me, but what I can tell you is that the warning that I receive is telling me that I'm trying to import from an old type of database.
  • 8. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    To be able to troubleshoot this further, pl post exact versions of "10gR2" and "11gR2", the complete export and import commands used, the first 10 lines of the export and import log files, and the complete error codes and messages from the export and import log files.

The export / import upgrade process is documented - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/expimp.htm

HTH
    Srini
  • 9. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    user626836 Newbie
    Hi Srini and thanks for your reply,
    My Oracle 10g is a release 10.2.0.1.0 and my Oracle 11g is a release 11.1.0.7.0
    Now, when I run an export on my Oracle 10g server I open a command prompt and use the command exp, then I type the username that I want to export and the password. After that I just type the name of the file with the extention .dmp, then I press enter until the export begins. My 10g export says at the begining the following: Export done WE8MSWIN1252 character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set

When I try to import that file into my Oracle 11g using the following command imp and the same user that I used to make the export, I receive the following message: Export file created by EXPORT: V10.02.01via conventional path. Import done in WE8MSWIN1252 character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set. Import server uses AL32UTF8 character set <possible charset conversion> List contents of import file only <yes/no>:no >
    Then I press enter to every question and it ask me for the username again so I type it again
    At the end I receive many warnings telling that the object already exists, so I think is trying to create the tables again. Is there a way just to copy the data inside of each table?
  • 10. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    user626836 wrote:
    Hi Srini and thanks for your reply,
    My Oracle 10g is a release 10.2.0.1.0 and my Oracle 11g is a release 11.1.0.7.0
    Now, when I run an export on my Oracle 10g server I open a command prompt and use the command exp, then I type the username that I want to export and the password. After that I just type the name of the file with the extention .dmp, then I press enter until the export begins. My 10g export says at the begining the following: Export done WE8MSWIN1252 character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set
    The export process looks good.
    When I try to import that file into my Oracle 11g using the following command imp and the same user that I used to make the export, I receive the following message: Export file created by EXPORT: V10.02.01via conventional path. Import done in WE8MSWIN1252 character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set. Import server uses AL32UTF8 character set <possible charset conversion> List contents of import file only <yes/no>:no >
    Then I press enter to every question and it ask me for the username again so I type it again
    At the end I receive many warnings telling that the object already exists, so I think is trying to create the tables again. Is there a way just to copy the data inside of each table?
    The warning indicates that NLS_LANG needs to be set to AL32UTF8 before the import is executed - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/globalization/nls-lang-099431.html

Pl post a list of all of the warnings

HTH
    Srini
  • 11. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    user626836 Newbie
    Hi Srini and thanks for replying,
    On which server do I need to make all this changes? On my 10g Oracle Server or on my 11g Oracle Server?
    I will post all the warnings after I copy them. Is there a way to send a screen shot in this forum?
  • 12. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    The export process looks good, assuming there are no warnings or errors in the export log. On the import side, set the NLS_LANG correctly and retry the import. You will have to post screenshots to an external website and then post the link here

HTH
    Srini
  • 13. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    user626836 Newbie
    Hi Srini and sorry for the delay,
    I have made the convertion of the NLS_LANG and the only warning that I receive is the following error: imp-00015: Following statement failed because the object already exists:
    create table "table_name"
    Is there any other step that I have to follow to avoid this warnings or is there a way just to copy the data inside of each table so I don't get this errors?
  • 14. Re: Upgrading from 10g R2 to 11g R2
    Pl post the complete import command you are using. One option is to use the IGNORE=Y parameter - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e22490/original_import.htm#SUTIL1719

HTH
    Srini
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points