This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 11:31 AM by DarrylBurke RSS

Best Free Java Delveoper

870213 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am developing application in Oracle and also studied .Net I do not have idea about JAVA that how to developed Java application and what builder I should use.

there is any website to learned JAVA application development. I am talking about JAVA application development not JAVA Script.

Can you please help in this connection.

Thanks & regards
  • 1. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    gimbal2 Guru
    How did you learn .NET? You learn Java in the same way. But you must be expecting something like MSDN to exist - there is not, Java developers use search engines and books to get their information.

Speaking of books, that is usually a good place to start although people have chosen to go to school also. The Oracle site is a good source of online information. Type "java tutorial" into Google for example and you get this:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/index.html
    I am talking about JAVA application development not JAVA Script.
    Well at least you're one step ahead since you know the distinction...

BTW: its a name, so its "Java" and not JAVA.
  • 2. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    939520 Explorer
    @see my post at
    https://forums.oracle.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10756588#10756588
  • 3. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    KailasChougule Newbie
    Hi,

Java tutorial is best way to learn java.

• 4. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    gimbal2 Guru
    Kailas Chougule wrote:
    Hi,

Java tutorial is best way to learn java.

I already posted that link. And nooooo, its not the best in the slightest. A decent book is already a hundred times better, and when you're finished with it a healthy willingness to experiment combined with Google is the way to go.

The only benefit that the tutorial has is that its free.
  • 5. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    gimbal2 wrote:
    But you must be expecting something like MSDN to exist
    As an experience developer I haven't found MSDN to be more helpful than Java sources. I can't imagine that it would be helpful to a beginner.

Being able to effectively use google however is helpful. For both languages.
  • 6. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    gimbal2 Guru
    jschell wrote:
    gimbal2 wrote:
    As an experience developer I haven't found MSDN to be more helpful than Java sources. I can't imagine that it would be helpful to a beginner.
    Really? Its been a long time ago, but when I was doing regular win32 programming MSDN was my home. Perhaps for .NET development its less useful, I can't judge that.
  • 7. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    jwenting Journeyer
    gimbal2 wrote:
    jschell wrote:
    gimbal2 wrote:
    Really? Its been a long time ago, but when I was doing regular win32 programming MSDN was my home. Perhaps for .NET development its less useful, I can't judge that.
    Maybe he is thinking of the MSDN forums, rather than the CD (now DVD) set? Those were indeed invaluable, haven't seen them for years though (or the web portal that now has afaik in part replaced them).
    They were certainly a lot better than what passed for documentation shipped with IBM development tools.
  • 8. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    gimbal2 Guru
    MSDN forums I have indeed never used, I was referring to the online MSDN documentation which was indeed also available in offline form for a long time, when it was still expensive to download 1.2 gigs of data. It has disappeared? That would be a crime.
  • 9. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    jwenting Journeyer
    Just checked, they're still shipping physical products (on DVD now) if you have the right subscription level.
    I've always found MSDN to contain valuable information, though the forums aren't as good as the Sun forums were (now here).
    And it'd better be good, as it's the main online help for Visual Studio (either a snapshot provided with the installation and/or access to MSDN online can be selected at install time and/or configured later).
  • 10. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    DarrylBurke Guru Moderator
    jschell wrote:

Being able to effectively use google however is helpful. For both languages.
    I learned VFP* entirely from the then 2-CD MSDN, in the days before the net was ubiquitous and before Google became a household word. As I'm not a programmer nor had association with anyone else interested in programming, MSDN was my only source of information and I generally found what I was looking for, and was able to create several in-house desktop applications for enhancing efficiency, accuracy and productivity.

The general layout, with Contents, Index and Search, plus the ability to add Favourites (or was it called Bookmarks?) makes finding the relevant information several times faster than in the JavaDoc layout. And since the help was written by help authors, not programmers, it's much more comprehensible to beginners. And tutorials/articles/blogs (although most were dated even back then) are incorporated in the same framework.

Just my 2p, YMMV.

db

* and a smattering of VB and VC++ when I needed them. And SQL syntax.
  • 11. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    jwenting Journeyer
    you're quite right, Darryl. The MSDN is a great reference and has decent tutorial content as well.
    I guess it's just that many people here are so used to the Javadoc system they consider anything else to be hard to use, unintuitive.

I learned Java (at least the basics) from Java in a Nutshell (the second edition I think it was), stuck in a hotel room with food poisoning without a computer or internet, using only pen and paper, much the same way I learned Pascal at university where we weren't allowed to enter any code into a computer terminal before it was verified to be correct by a teaching assistant or professor, on paper written long hand (no pseudocode allowed, no using abbreviations for common terms).

It may well be the best way to learn, as using computers and interactive teaching tends to lead to copy-paste programming practices, teaching students where to find the snippets of code they piece together to come up with something that compiles.
  • 12. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    gimbal2 Guru
    jwenting wrote:
    you're quite right, Darryl. The MSDN is a great reference and has decent tutorial content as well.
    I guess it's just that many people here are so used to the Javadoc system they consider anything else to be hard to use, unintuitive.

I learned Java (at least the basics) from Java in a Nutshell (the second edition I think it was), stuck in a hotel room with food poisoning without a computer or internet, using only pen and paper
    Holy heck, I experience both respect and pity!

I learned Java from a book (was in school but of course programming you don't really learn by sitting in a classroom, you learn by investing lots of time into it), on a computer... using notepad, Dos edit and javac/java.
    It may well be the best way to learn, as using computers and interactive teaching tends to lead to copy-paste programming practices, teaching students where to find the snippets of code they piece together to come up with something that compiles.
    Indeed, but that copy/paste way fits into today's "I don't want to actually apply my beautiful brain" frame of mind. Apparently people believe they can get away with it. I don't mind, that way I stay in very high demand when compared to all the useless tools that flood the market.
  • 13. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    gimbal2 wrote:
    jwenting wrote:
    I learned Java (at least the basics) from Java in a Nutshell (the second edition I think it was), stuck in a hotel room with food poisoning without a computer or internet, using only pen and paper
    Holy heck, I experience both respect and pity!
    I didn't ever do much programming longhand, but after one transfer right across the country, the engineer who took over from me as in-charge of what was then one of two PCs in that work center (80386 / 40MB HDD / 1MB RAM) snail-mailed me a SOS for a SCO FoxBase program enhancement. I had him send me a printout of the entire code, maybe 1000-1500 lines, typed up the portion to be changed on a PDP-11 (which obviously couldn't run FoxBase or any xBase) and mailed a printout, with about 50-100 new lines of code, back to him. Along with a caution to keep track of what he was doing so he could report the exact sequence of actions when he got an error.

The code ran error-free and I was pleased no end. And I never touched FoxBase again, ever. And didn't get a chance to work on a PC for the next 7 years, though the PDP-11 was soon replaced by a MicroVax, and I had to learn Datatreive :)

Good times, good times.

db
  • 14. Re: Best Free Java Delveoper
    gimbal2 wrote:
    jwenting wrote:
    Indeed, but that copy/paste way fits into today's "I don't want to actually apply my beautiful brain" frame of mind.
    It's called 'standing on the shoulders of gi-ants' ;)

db

edit So that's a proscribed word? pffffft!

Edited by: Darryl Burke

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points