This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2013 5:58 PM by Maran Viswarayar RSS

Adding Voting Disk fails on 11.2.0.3 clusterware installation

CoBy Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello together,

I am installing Oracle Grid Infratructure 11.2.0.3 on OEL 6.3
I reached the final step, running the root.sh on node 1. It succsessfully started the services but then I got this error:

Failed to create voting files on disk group OCR_VOTING.
Change to configuration failed, but was successfully rolled back.
CRS-4000: Command Replace failed, or completed with errors.
Voting file add failed
Failed to add voting disks at /opt/oracle/11.2.0/grid/crs/install/crsconfig_lib.pm line 6780.
+/opt/oracle/11.2.0/grid/perl/bin/perl -I/opt/oracle/11.2.0/grid/perl/lib -I/opt/oracle/11.2.0/grid/crs/install /opt/oracle/11.2.0/grid/crs/install/rootcrs.pl execution failed+

OCR_VOTING Diskgroup is configured using oracleasm:
oracleasm createdisk OCR_VOTING /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb1 is a partition and has been created ot the LUN /dev/sdb using fdisk.

Any idea what might be wrong? Any answers are highly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is part of logfile of the root.sh - tool. Meanwhile I tried deinstalling the clusterware and cleaning up, then I verified the server configuration with cluvfy and all was OK.

+2013-01-04 00:24:26: Start of resource "ora.crsd" Succeeded+
+2013-01-04 00:24:26: Creating voting files+
2013-01-04 00:24:26: Creating voting files in ASM diskgroup OCR_VOTING
2013-01-04 00:24:26: Executing crsctl replace votedisk '+OCR_VOTING'
2013-01-04 00:24:26: Executing /opt/oracle/11.2.0/grid/bin/crsctl replace votedisk '+OCR_VOTING'
2013-01-04 00:24:26: Executing cmd: /opt/oracle/11.2.0/grid/bin/crsctl replace votedisk '+OCR_VOTING'
+2013-01-04 00:24:26: Command output:+
Failed to create voting files on disk group OCR_VOTING.
Change to configuration failed, but was successfully rolled back.
CRS-4000: Command Replace failed, or completed with errors.
End Command output
+2013-01-04 00:24:26: Voting file add failed+

Edited by: CoBy on Jan 3, 2013 11:44 PM
  • 1. Re: Adding Voting Disk fails on 11.2.0.3 clusterware installation
    onedbguru Pro
    If you followed all of the prerequisites, you should not have a problem here...

1) DO NOT USE asmlib. IMProfessionalO it is superfluous.
    2) make sure you are using more than one disk in a diskgroup
    3) make sure the ownership and permissions are set correctly for the device(s)
    4) you should use a minimum of 3 devices (1-2G should be sufficient) and use NORMAL redundancy for the OCR/Voting diskgroup. This will configure 3 voting files - one on each device.
    5) configure udev or multipathd to properly set the ownership/permissions on reboot
    6) make sure both the grid owner/group and the oracle owner/group can both READ and WRITE to ALL devices on ALL nodes BEFORE you start.
    7) You should use the entire device (minus the first 1Mb - ie start at cylinder 2 to last)

To deconfigure what you have already done search for roothas.pl and then search the docs for the commands to "clean up" this failed install.
  • 2. Re: Adding Voting Disk fails on 11.2.0.3 clusterware installation
    CoBy Newbie
    Hello onedbguru,

I have some more questions in connection with your answer. I followed the manual on http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/hunter-rac11gr2-iscsi-088677.html which is using asmlib to configure the disks. Which other possibilities are there? I have been provided some LUN's from the network dept and this is what I have now.

Is it a best practice to use NORMAL redundancy or is it required. As the LUN's are placed on a filer, I used EXTERNAL redundany for OCR?

Obviously the cluvfy does not find such issues, as I had no errors reported before the installation.

Thanks in advance. I am still struggling with this problem, therefore your help is highly appreciated.
  • 3. Re: Adding Voting Disk fails on 11.2.0.3 clusterware installation
    Maran Viswarayar Pro
    External redundancy will make your VOTING disk to disk to one..You have to opt for Normal redundancy to have more than 1 disk.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points