12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 3:49 AM by BluShadow RSS

How to insert screenshot in our posts?

I’m wondering why there is no option to insert screenshot to our post to better describe our inquiries

Best

Jamal
        • 1. Re: How to insert screenshot in our posts?
          sb92075
          How do I ask a question on the forums?
          SQL and PL/SQL FAQ
          • 2. Re: How to insert screenshot in our posts?
            Osama_Mustafa
            980166 wrote:

I’m wondering why there is no option to insert screenshot to our post to better describe our inquiries

Best

Jamal
            unfortunately there's no option like this, but you can upload it to Free servers and Post link here if this necessary
            • 3. Re: How to insert screenshot in our posts?
              Srini Chavali-Oracle
              Since you are new here, start with the FAQ - https://wikis.oracle.com/display/Forums/Forums+FAQ

HTH
              Srini
              • 4. Re: How to insert screenshot in our posts?
                Billy~Verreynne
                980166 wrote:

There was. Jives do support the IMG tag - enabling you to include an image reference in a posting. (you could not upload an image as part of your posting - but you could refer to an image via a link)

Unfortunately, some idiots started to abuse this feature soon after it was enabled. So it was disabled again. Years ago.*

PS. Had a look. The image feature was simply to post the image URL enclosed in exclamation marks. So the following text would have been replaced by an image: !https://forums.oracle.com/forums/themes/english/resources/oralogo_small.gif!

*PPS. And as is the usual case here.. OTN forum members are punished via restricting their functionality using the forums, instead of addressing the actual root cause of the problem... :(                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                • 5. Re: How to insert screenshot in our posts?
                  BluShadow
                  In fairness Billy, spammers who spam with images on forums can cause major problems (and I know from another forum I moderate which does allow images). Not only can you get seriously indecent images posted, but the spammers can post images of such sizes that the forum layout gets distorted and it can actually be hard for moderators to get to the options they use for removing the posts.

As a technical forum, there's probably less need for images to be used here anyway, except on the forums for things like Oracle Forms or Apex etc. Certainly a lot of what we deal with is code, and that doesn't require images.

Also the OP should note, that hosting images on 3rd party sites and then providing the links on these forums will not always be beneficial, as many people access the forums from their workplace, and may have some restrictions on their internet access that can prevent them being able to access such image hosting sites. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but bear in mind that it's no good just posting a thread saying "I have an issue, see my screenshots" and linking to them. Always provide as much information as you can about your issues directly on the forums. That way you'll get more help.
                  • 6. Re: How to insert screenshot in our posts?
                    Catch~22
                    You can also get serious indecent messages posted. Why not applying the same rules to images? Well I understand that it will most likely add to the current work-load of removing spam, and it will be difficult to search electronically for indecent images, but isn't it rather a question of convenience these days? I'm not saying that the effort to keep this forum clean from spam is not a valid argument - it's a very valid argument. Turning the feature off was probably the most effective solution at the time.

People will always find ways to abuse a system. I think the only effective way to address such issues is to remove the anonymous part of the account registration, or to allow certain postings by approval. There are various options to verify the true identity of a person. Just don't make it more convenient to register than to loose an account. I have no doubt that this would reduce the amount of spam by enlarge. It will be more administration at the beginning, but I'm sure more effective on the long run.

Whether this was possible here I don't know, but with such a system in place, perhaps attachments are generally feasible. I would even pay a couple of bucks to be able to add additional content than text here, e.g. pdf, zip, etc. to include larger code or formatted text.
                    • 7. Re: How to insert screenshot in our posts?
                      Billy~Verreynne
                      Agree - especially that off-site images invariable lead to broken links some years later, and then fails to add the required detail to posting to make proper sense from it.

But as for spammers... Ignoring the abilities and/or inabilities of Jives. The major issue IMO is that spam is reactively addressed on OTN and not pro-actively. And that is what I find frustrating. It has been an issue more than 7+ years ago. There are numerous pro-active features like captcha, e-mail verification with registration, limiting quantity of postings within a limited period after registration, and so on, that could be used. And are use by many other web forums for exactly the same spam related issues.

Granted, there are very likely Oracle corporate issues and politics and what not that explain why OTN is still running on old Web 0.9 technology. But in all fairness - I cannot use that as an excuse to our corporate customers with the systems I'm involved in and share responsibility for.

So I'm not inclined to cut Oracle any slack in this regard.. that OTN is seriously outdated and very limited today, through no fault but that of Oracle. And that forum members are paying the price for that.
                      • 8. Re: How to insert screenshot in our posts?
                        EdStevens
                        Dude wrote:
                        You can also get serious indecent messages posted. Why not applying the same rules to images?
                        Much different impact if you open a message with a bunch of obscene text, vs one with obscene graphics. Especially if your boss happens to walk by about then ....

I can see the issue for the forums that deal with products that are inherently graphical, but at least for the one's I'm most active in, if a person can't explain/demonstrate their problem with straight text they need to improve their own skills. Forcing them to do so is actually doing them a favor. At least for some that will be the thing that causes them to finally understand the difference between the database and that fancy GUI interface they are so wedded to.

Well I understand that it will most likely add to the current work-load of removing spam, and it will be difficult to search electronically for indecent images, but isn't it rather a question of convenience these days? I'm not saying that the effort to keep this forum clean from spam is not a valid argument - it's a very valid argument. Turning the feature off was probably the most effective solution at the time.

People will always find ways to abuse a system. I think the only effective way to address such issues is to remove the anonymous part of the account registration, or to allow certain postings by approval. There are various options to verify the true identity of a person. Just don't make it more convenient to register than to loose an account. I have no doubt that this would reduce the amount of spam by enlarge. It will be more administration at the beginning, but I'm sure more effective on the long run.

Whether this was possible here I don't know, but with such a system in place, perhaps attachments are generally feasible. I would even pay a couple of bucks to be able to add additional content than text here, e.g. pdf, zip, etc. to include larger code or formatted text.
                        • 9. Re: How to insert screenshot in our posts?
                          Catch~22
                          Much different impact if you open a message with a bunch of obscene text, vs one with obscene graphics. Especially if your boss happens to walk by about then ....
                          Depends on your boss really - he/she may start to spend more time behind your screen than you want ;-) Just kidding, but seriously, of course, I agree.

But I wasn't saying to just go ahead and open the picture portal. If someone includes a URL in the post, what difference does it really make in terms of content whether it is stored on an Oracle server or elsewhere. You may turn blind, but the server certainly doesn't go down because of indecent bytes. If it is on an Oracle server there could at least be a warning that says to open or read at your own risk. I would not see any need for pictures myself, but I wouldn't mind to be able to attach scripts and pdf files for stuff I wrote, for instance.

I was suggesting to deal with issue of spam or indecent content in a more pro-active fashion, which may make even the posting of pictures a feasible option.
                          • 10. Re: How to insert screenshot in our posts?
                            jgarry
                            This is a very large volume site, I would guess space issues are involved too. Even longish threads need to be isolated, and you can see some counts are -1 for "performance reasons." It's not like this software is using some flagship database.

I know I will push any kind of software to its limits, just because I find it interesting (or revolting, if the limits are so low they demonstrate incompetence, like certain popular social media sites). So I "abuse" images if given half a chance. I think boundary pushing is a positive attribute in our business.

But then again, I miss some helpful iconoclastic posters who have gone from some fora, too. Why should online fora be indistinguishable from dry docs?
                            • 11. Re: How to insert screenshot in our posts?
                              Catch~22
                              I have no clue about Jive or whatever runs here, but isn't that a question of service partitioning and setup? I can imagine that Apple iCloud and Facebook have even more data volume than OTN. About your boundary pushing ... Capacity planning and setting appropriate limits is nothing new as such. I'd say if you abuse by indecent content your account is gone. If a user continuously exercises technical limits for fun the drivers license should be revoked, or only be allowed to drive on Sundays. ;-)
                              • 12. Re: How to insert screenshot in our posts?
                                BluShadow
                                Apple iCloud and Facebook are money making sites for their business.

The OTN forums are free and without advertising for all Oracle (and Java) users to share and connect. It provides a benefit to Oracle as they can see what common issues there are and how they can improve their products, by looking at what is being discussed, but they aren't using the forums to try and make money out of it's users directly, unlike other social media type sites.

As for the Jive software... it's old and klunky on the version used here and in the process of being looked at for an upgrade, which I suspect also includes an upgrade to some new servers and storage capacity. That's in Oracle's hands though and we know little of where it's at and when it will happen.