This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 3:36 AM by PhHein Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    925593 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi,

Scene builder is a very nice tool.
    But i think you should introduce :

1- A way to configure a project context to defines a classpath (to access custom controls, with the ability to put them in the components palette), properties and resources (any resources like images...). Also it should include a custom controller's factory to be able to feel with custom sample data...

2- Allow to reload this context when opening SB

3- A way to graphically edit a component's skin

4- A way to define the lists' cells content (idem for tree and table)

5- Allow fxml file inclusions with the ability to edit the underlying fxml by opening the file in another SB window inside the same context.

I know this is a big amount of work but i think it will help to adopt javafx.
    What do you think about?

Thanks for all your work

Augustin
  • 31. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    daniel Journeyer
    Hi Augustin,

Thanks for your feedback!

With respect to point 1. it's already possible to set up a classpath for a given FXML if it contains Custom Types. The ability to add them to the Library is not yet there however.
    See http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/openjfx-dev/2012-July/002803.html

For point 3 I think that you only need to define your component skin in FXML, then you'd be able to graphically edit it. Or is there something that would prevent defining such a skin in FXML?
    Or do you mean graphically customizing a component skin through CSS?

For point 4 - did you have a look at "View > Show Sample Data" which fills lists, trees, tables, and charts with "lorem ipsum"?
    The idea here is to allow you to see the impact of your css rules against default list/tree/and table cells - as well as getting a feeling on how these things behave with respect to dynamic resizing.

Point 5 is already implemented: File > Import > FXML then select the new node and invoke "Modify > Edit <included file name>".

best regards,

-- daniel
  • 32. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    925593 Newbie
    Hi Daniel, and thank you for your answers.

I've been too busy to give a feedback until now. I'm testing now the official scene builder release and here is my feedback (I give references to previously discussed points):

1/2- The classpath and ability to save it:
    - I've tested the ability to set up the classpath when opening an FXML file in SB which contains unresolved import instructions. SB displays a popup to allow the user to define the classpath. The popup is functional. It would be usefull to be able to defines the classpath manually (not when opening the file only) and to persist it maybe in a separate file to avoid enter it each time a developer/designer have to modify UI (I don't know what is the policy of SB about using external configuration files, like .classpath eclipse files for example).
    - I'm currently editing fxml files in an eclipse Java project with
    - Also during my development I'm continously switching from SceneBuilder to my IDE (eclipse) andeach time I had to rewrite my URLs to be able to run in eclipse and switch back to editing in SB...

What do you think about using a kind of specific scene builder FXML property to define the reference classpath :

<?scenebuilder-classpath-entry ../../../../../../resources?>
    <?scenebuilder-classpath-entry D:/maven-repo/com/custom/controls/1.0/controls.jar?>
    <?scenebuilder-classpath-entry D:/custom-controls-directory?>

or maybe have a separate configuration file like .classpath eclipse file which will be referenced from the FXML file:
    <?scenebuilder-classpath ../../../../../../.classpath?>

This will allow the developers to use classpath relatives URL in the rest of the file, example:

<?scenebuilder-preview-i18n-resource @/messages.properties?>
    [...]
    <Button text="Edit">
    <graphic>
    <ImageView>
    <Image url="@/icons/pencil.png"/>
    </ImageView>
    </graphic>
    </Button>
    [...]
    <stylesheets>
    <URL value="@/stylesheets/main.css" />
    </stylesheets>
    [...]

3- For the component's skin I was talking about graphically customizing a component skin through CSS. But you are right it concers more CSS styling work rather than SB editing.

4- I was talking about a way to define a custom cell's layout directly from the FXML file. But it concerns more FXML specification rather than SB editing. We can continue using custom cell factory to build custom cells using java code. However is there a way to export SB design to Java UI code directly ? To be able to use it later in a custom cell?

5- I've succesfully included and edited sub fxml files into a parent fxml using SB. It works great.
    But (it concers FXML spec rather than SB spec) it would be useful to be able to bind the controller's instance of the child to a property of the parent's controller when including a child fxml file, something like this:

<!-- parent file -->
    <XXX fx:controller="ParentController">
    [...]
    <fx:include source="child.fxml" controller="childControllerProperty" />
    [...]
    </XXX>

Augustin
  • 33. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    918044 Newbie
    You can save a custom custom classpath in SB 1.1 (under linux at least) by editing the JavaFXSceneBuilder1.1/app/package.cfg file: it has an "app.classpath=" line where you can add custom classpaths separated by ":" (on linux, probably ";" on windows).

Not officially supported I guess, but it saves me some time since I don't have to constantly click that classpath dialog when I open my project.
  • 34. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    983095 Newbie
    Hi
    SceneBuilder is a really cool thing. I havent found any bugs yet, but have a small wish list.
    Wish List:
    1) scaling of working area. My notebook has 14" screen, and max area that I can see without scrolling is 800x600.
    2) support for binding properties (Nodes` width/height at least) - it is not trivial thing, but it would be awesome! (I created a feature request in the Jira)

Thank you for your work :)
  • 35. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    shakir.gusaroff Expert
    2) support for binding properties (Nodes` width/height at least) - it is not trivial thing, but it would be awesome! (I created a feature request in the Jira)
    There’s expression binding.
    <TextField fx:id="textField"/>
    <Label text="${textField.text}"/>
    Take a look at
    http://docs.oracle.com/javafx/2/api/javafx/fxml/doc-files/introduction_to_fxml.html#static_property_elements
  • 36. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    983095 Newbie
    Yes, I saw this document. But it must be done by manually editing fxml - Scene Builder doesnt suport this feature yet.
  • 37. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    yves joan Explorer
    About scaling of working area aren't the 'Document default width' and 'Document default height' values set in Preferences panel (from File menu) answering your need ?
  • 38. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    jsmith Guru
    About scaling of working area aren't the 'Document default width' and 'Document default height' values set in Preferences panel (from File menu) answering your need ?
    Not really yves_joan, it's more like a zoom feature such as you get in a pdf viewer, or word or an image viewer, where you can specify a document zoom size for the viewing area.

For example, if the document was 1920x1080 and you set a zoom of 50%, then the document would be sized 960x540 in the content pane and completely viewable without needing to scroll the content pane around - but when you loaded the fxml up in your application, it would cover the full 1920x1080.

Not sure of the relative importance of the feature, but it is a nice to have.
  • 39. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    zmirc Newbie
    I think it's a great tool.
    It makes the GUI development faster and easier, thus making JavaFX more appealing to newcomers.
    Moreover, since 1.1 b17 it seems more stable with big FXML files, which is a great improvement.
    Keep going SB team!
  • 40. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    tanvir ahmed Newbie
    its a little bit slower
    there should be more formatting options and it should contain pre-built css files .
  • 41. Re: Provide feedback on JavaFX Scene Builder
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    Guys, this thread is months old.

Moderator action: I'm locking up.
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points