This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 11:17 AM by Brandye Barrington RSS

DBA 11g Exam and courses

780699 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

I wanted to know if I could become an OCP by using Self-Study versions of courses as my course completion requirements?

I also wanted to know if I purchase LVC/Training on demand from Pakistan can I go ahead and use it while travelling abroad via the internet? Or do I need to be physically present in Pakistan?

Regards,
Asim
  • 1. Re: DBA 11g Exam and courses
    matthew_morris Expert
    user7984353 wrote:
    I wanted to know if I could become an OCP by using Self-Study versions of courses as my course completion requirements?
    No. OE specifically notes that the self-study courses do not qualify for the training requirement.
    I also wanted to know if I purchase LVC/Training on demand from Pakistan can I go ahead and use it while travelling abroad via the internet?
    Or do I need to be physically present in Pakistan?
    Brandye will probably have to answer this. I know there are restrictions, but I don't know the specifics.
  • 2. Re: DBA 11g Exam and courses
    780699 Newbie
    Any link to these notes/restrictions?
  • 3. Re: DBA 11g Exam and courses
    matthew_morris Expert
    Any link to these notes/restrictions?
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=112

In a grey box near the top, it says (underlining added by me):

"Please note that only instructor-led in-class, online, or recorded courses (includes Live Web Classes – LWC, Live Virtual classes – LVC and Training On-Demand courses) from the approved list of Oracle University courses count toward the training requirement. _Self Study CD-Rom and Knowledge Center courses are excellent study and reference tools but DO NOT meet the Hands-on Requirement for certification._"
  • 4. Re: DBA 11g Exam and courses
    780699 Newbie
    Thanks, would love to get the reply from Brandye about LVC and Training on demand.

I suppose they fulfill the requirement... I am from Pakistan but usually out of Pakistan. Purchasing from Pakistan is significantly cheaper than purchasing from elsewhere. I was hoping I can purchase it from Pakistan but use them via internet anywhere.
  • 5. Re: DBA 11g Exam and courses
    matthew_morris Expert
    I was hoping I can purchase it from Pakistan but use them via internet anywhere.
    I do not believe that you can do this. I found one of the previous threads where this was discussed. Brandye was supposed to be checking on it but did not end up replying. However, at the time, the indication was that this is not possible. If it were possible, then there would be nothing to prevent someone from simply finding the country with the lowest cost LVC, purchasing it, and then watching from wherever they really lived. Oracle cannot verify that somone is really from the country they claim to be.

Oracle 11g Certification Query
  • 6. Re: DBA 11g Exam and courses
    bigdelboy Pro
    matthew_morris wrote:
    I was hoping I can purchase it from Pakistan but use them via internet anywhere.
    I do not believe that you can do this. I found one of the previous threads where this was discussed. Brandye was supposed to be checking on it but did not end up replying. However, at the time, the indication was that this is not possible. If it were possible, then there would be nothing to prevent someone from simply finding the country with the lowest cost LVC, purchasing it, and then watching from wherever they really lived. Oracle cannot verify that somone is really from the country they claim to be.

Oracle 11g Certification Query
    Probably the key earlier thread that discussed this that the one above alluded to was: {thread:id=1031012}

At that point in time there was a restriction on the LVC registration as to country.
    .... On a brief glance round I didn't find it this time ... doesn't mean it isn't there (I may be having a blind as a bat day or it may only happen on)after?) registration) ... ... in fact the site specifically mentions multi-country attendance which tends to alude to permissiveness.

Oracle would have some indicators of tracking where you are which will have a degree of reliability, (and possibly a degree of unreliablity), and there are some obfistication techniques. At least in some countries the government may believe the individual/Oracle may be liable for taxes in particular ways that may have an influence. (e.g. individual from Pakistan wires money from UK to India to purchase LVC course in Pakistan that he takes in the UK ... possibly avoids UK VAT tax etc .... perhaps that is okay ... I simply don't know ... and Oracle record sale in Pakistan not UK). All a little messy; probably nobody would find out or be really bothered though.

PS: This is all a bit of a cloud to me really, appropriate for Oracle 12c ... sort of impossible to knows what's going on in the fog.

NB: ( {thread:id=1033831} also discusses but probably doesn't add much )
  • 7. Re: DBA 11g Exam and courses
    780699 Newbie
    Oracle University is suspiciously cryptic. I've written to them on their sales email address and they don't reply. I wrote on their "Request Information" form and they don't reply.

I tried asking a mundane question about eKits and they replied within a day.

My grand plan is to test it out. Just before I'm heading back home, I'll buy training on demand online, and try to use it from outside Pakistan. If they track IPs and don't allow it, then I'll just go back and use it anyway. Moreover where they track IPs, people can still bypass them through use of VPNs.

The thing is Oracle Uni CAN control it in a better way, by asking for a Pakistan phone number, physical mailing address, etc. So genuinely if someone is eligible for a cheaper price they would be, or else they won't.
  • 8. Re: DBA 11g Exam and courses
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    Unfortunately, I have not been able to get a very clear answer on this - as to whether or not you can purchase LVC training in one country and complete it in another. I wouldn't see why not, but I would suggest contacting Oracle University directly to purchase http://bit.ly/KnNNke and asking that question to them directly on the phone.

Sorry I can't be more helpful on this.
    Regards,
    Brandye Barrington

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points