This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 7, 2013 10:49 PM by P.Forstmann RSS

Oracle RAC + deployment on websphere

983282 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have an java application deployed on websphere that is using Oracle. Datasource are created in websphere using URL like this:
jdbc:oracle:thin:@DBSERVER_NAME:1521:DB_NAME

Now, that we plan to move move to oracle rac, I learnt that we need to make change to datasource like this:

jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)
(HOST=DBSERVER1_NAME)(PORT=1521))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)
(HOST=DBSERVER2_NAME)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME
=DATABASE_SERVICENAME)))

would that be enough, or I need to make other changes as well from application perspective.

Another thing is that application deployment is done through ant scripts, which at the moment copies some data on /tmp/.. folder on db server and then run db scripts. These scripts make some ddl changes and some record updates. Now with rac implementation, these scripts will be run on one of the rac node(instances), so do I need to run these ddl scripts/record updates scripts on other node in oracle rac or oracle rac would take care of this automatically.
  • 1. Re: Oracle RAC + deployment on websphere
    P.Forstmann Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    980279 wrote:
    Now, that we plan to move move to oracle rac, I learnt that we need to make change to datasource like this:

jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)
    (HOST=DBSERVER1_NAME)(PORT=1521))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)
    (HOST=DBSERVER2_NAME)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME
    =DATABASE_SERVICENAME)))

would that be enough, or I need to make other changes as well from application perspective.
    What is your 4 digits Oracle version on database side and on client side ?
    If you are using 11.2 on database side, are you using SCAN listener ?
    Which Automatic Workload Management features are used by your application ? (see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/rac.112/e16795/hafeats.htm).

>
    Another thing is that application deployment is done through ant scripts, which at the moment copies some data on /tmp/.. folder on db server and then run db scripts. These scripts >make some ddl changes and some record updates. Now with rac implementation, these scripts will be run on one of the rac node(instances), so do I need to run these ddl >scripts/record updates scripts on other node in oracle rac or oracle rac would take care of this automatically.
    A RAC database has several database instances but only one database: you only need to run SQL scripts on one instance.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points