This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 5:17 AM by user12273962 RSS

Sun Storage 6180 with Oracle VM

heng Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Dear All,

When we use Sun Storage 6180 with Oracle VM 3.1.1 by direct attached using Fiber Chanel, we have to install plugin on VM Server?

Please kindly give advice for this.

Thanks and regards,
Vandy
  • 1. Re: Sun Storage 6180 with Oracle VM
    user12273962 Pro
    Plugins are for management. They are not required. In any case... the "plugin" is used on the VM Manager to manage the storage. It just a way to centralize management of your VM environment.
  • 2. Re: Sun Storage 6180 with Oracle VM
    heng Explorer
    Thank you very much for your help and reply.

My problem is when I create Server Pool as Cluster then I try create Storage Repository is cannot see physical disk is shared from storage (6180) but during creating Server Pool (cluster) is can see physical disk. After that I try to create Server Pool without cluster is can see physical disk to create Storage Repository.

I suspect it cause from storage plugin because the status in Oracle VM Manager shown unmanage file system.

Thanks and regards,
    Vandy
  • 3. Re: Sun Storage 6180 with Oracle VM
    user12273962 Pro
    Are you present more than a single "disk" or LUN?

If you create a server pool on a disk/LUN.... that LUN gets reserved for the server pool. You can NOT then use that LUN for storage repository. In my opinion, you should create your server pools on NFS mounts. Thus, you can create multiple shares for each server pool on the same disk/LUN that is shared through NFS. I have all my server pools on NFS storage. It doesn't take much space for a server pool. I think the recommendation is that server pools need no more than 10GB of space per pool. My currently largest pool that consists of 7 servers.... is about 900mb.

The storage plugin is probably not your issue. If it was... .then you wouldn't see anything at all. You may have to do some customization of the multipath config to get multipathing to work properly but you're not using multipathing.

Edited by: user12273962 on Jan 3, 2013 7:31 AM
  • 4. Re: Sun Storage 6180 with Oracle VM
    heng Explorer
    Thank you very much for your help and reply.

I use only one physical disk on VM 2.2.2 with cluster and working fine but on VM 3.1.1 is cannot.

For VM 3.1.1, now I try to create 2 volumes (2 physical disks (sdb and sdc) shown on VM Servers) on Storage (6180), I want to use 1 volume for Server Pools and 1 volume for Storage Repository. Is it possible?

Thanks and regards,
    Vandy
  • 5. Re: Sun Storage 6180 with Oracle VM
    heng Explorer
    Now, I can resolve this problem by creating 2 volumes on Sun Storage for Pool and Repository.

Thanks and regards,
    Vandy
  • 6. Re: Sun Storage 6180 with Oracle VM
    user12273962 Pro
    You will have to create a LUN for each server pool that you want to create. This is why I suggested you use NFS. The process is then nothing more than creating a new share. I also use NFS to affective separate I/O operations across multiple paths in my VM environment.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points