1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 5:48 AM by Fran RSS

Instructions for Oracle Database Server Version 10.2.0.4 Patch 49

christian41936
      Hi !

Before trying to do anything on the database by applying the patch I received from Oracle, I want to be sure to fully understand the readme file that is with the patch.

Oracle 10g.
      Dataguard configuration
      I need to do CPU patch. I follow the patch instructions, but I have some questions about these steps to do:

1. Back up the current database that is installed, the %ORACLE_HOME% directory and Oracle inventory under c:\Program files\oracle directory.
      Question: I suppose I have to do a rman backup right?

2. Perform a clean shutdown of all Oracle services (databases, Oracle listeners, Oracle agents, and so on.) that run from the Oracle Home where you install this patch. Shutdown all MTS/COM+/.Net applications that access Oracle databases.

Question: All that is required for a clean shutdown is done with a shutdown immediate command, right?
      I know my database is not RAC, but it certainly has an Automatic Storage Management. Is it stopped with the shutdown command?

3. Stop all Oracle services, Recovery catalog, ODBC applications, and other applications that use Oracle Client. This may include Web servers that load the Oracle client in the mid-tier environment.
      Explicitly stop the Distributed Transaction Coordinator service (which is not an Oracle service) if it is running.

Question : I shall have a look at the Services and stop all the services that were not stopped after the shutdown immediate command, right?

4. Make sure no application are using the driver sqora32.dll
      Question: How to check that no application are using this driver?

There are in the following preinstallation instructions notes for bug 8292378, data guard bug fix 8227106, bug 6798650 and bug 8866013.
      I see that bug 6798650 is for RAC only, so as my database is not RAC, I don't have to take into account this note.

5. I have this for the Pre-install steps for Data Guard bug fix 8227106:
      Disable Fast-Start Failover if it is enabled.
      Stop the Data Guard broker observer.
      Disable the configuration.
      Stop the broker on all databases by setting the DG_BROKER_START initialization parameter to FALSE.

Question: how can I disable fast-start failover?

Next I look at the Installation Instructions:
      I have in the readme:
      - patch installation instruction for single instance
      - patch installation instruction for RAC (won't use it, as my database is not RAC)
      - installation instruction for Oracle Instant client :
      - installation instruction ODP.NET 1.x or 2.x : I see ODP.NET on the Oracle directories.

Which patch installation instruction should I follow, according to my database configuration, single instance?

Appreciate any help.
        • 1. Re: Instructions for Oracle Database Server Version 10.2.0.4 Patch 49
          Fran
          1. Back up the current database that is installed, the %ORACLE_HOME% directory and Oracle inventory under c:\Program files\oracle directory.
          Question: I suppose I have to do a rman backup right?
          No, but yes... I mean, in the documentation is refering at directory, not database. When you use the patch, some files will be change, so if you need rollbackup you need a copy of your ORACLE_HOME and c:\Program files\oracle. Just copy this directories in another place.
          I mean yes because it's recommended backup database too.
          2. Perform a clean shutdown of all Oracle services (databases, Oracle listeners, Oracle agents, and so on.) that run from the Oracle Home where you install this patch. Shutdown all MTS/COM+/.Net applications that access Oracle databases.

Question: All that is required for a clean shutdown is done with a shutdown immediate command, right?
          I know my database is not RAC, but it certainly has an Automatic Storage Management. Is it stopped with the shutdown command?
          No, all services, if you only run "SQL>shutdown immediate" you are only stopping database, not ASM, not Listener,....
          3. Stop all Oracle services, Recovery catalog, ODBC applications, and other applications that use Oracle Client. This may include Web servers that load the Oracle client in the mid-tier environment. 
          Explicitly stop the Distributed Transaction Coordinator service (which is not an Oracle service) if it is running.

Question : I shall have a look at the Services and stop all the services that were not stopped after the shutdown immediate command, right?
          srvctl stop service -d <database name> -s <Configured workload management service> -i <instance name>
          srvctl stop instance -d <database name> -i <instance name>
          srvctl stop asm -n <nodename>
          4. Make sure no application are using the driver sqora32.dll
          Question: How to check that no application are using this driver?
          http://superuser.com/questions/399659/how-can-i-identify-what-application-is-using-a-given-file
          5. I have this for the Pre-install steps for Data Guard bug fix 8227106:
          Disable Fast-Start Failover if it is enabled.
          Stop the Data Guard broker observer.
          Disable the configuration.
          Stop the broker on all databases by setting the DG_BROKER_START initialization parameter to FALSE.

Question: how can I disable fast-start failover?
          are you using Data Guard? if not skip this step, if Yes:
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14230/sofo.htm#BCGJEGAF
          Next I look at the Installation Instructions:
          I have in the readme:
          - patch installation instruction for single instance
          - patch installation instruction for RAC (won't use it, as my database is not RAC)
          - installation instruction for Oracle Instant client :
          - installation instruction ODP.NET 1.x or 2.x : I see ODP.NET on the Oracle directories.

Which patch installation instruction should I follow, according to my database configuration, single instance?
          Only you know what configuration do you have.
          Probably "patch installation instruction for single instance", but be sure that this patch will apply in a database and not in a RAC or in a Client or ODP.NET