6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 7:08 AM by Marwim RSS

open office spreadsheet with forms 10g

Udaya Chand
      Dear all,

I am using forms 10g, I want to read the data of a open office spread sheet to the forms grid using webutil.

Please guide.

Thank you in advance.
        • 1. Re: open office spreadsheet with forms 10g
          salute-Salem
          i do not know about webutil , but i think you can do this with text_io package and it's procedures
          fopen and getline

regards
          • 2. Re: open office spreadsheet with forms 10g
            Marwim
            i think you can do this with text_io package and it's procedures fopen and getline
            No, an Open Office spread sheet is a zipped bunch of XML files. You would have to unzip the file, choose the correct XML file and then parse the content.

Regards
            Marcus
            • 3. Re: open office spreadsheet with forms 10g
              Udaya Chand
              can you describe briefly..
              • 4. Re: open office spreadsheet with forms 10g
                Marwim
                Hello,
                I want to read the data of a open office spread sheet to the forms grid using webutil
                I don't know a way to directly manipulate OO-files with Oracle tools.

Since you want to use webutil I assume, that there is no MS Office installed, otherwise you could access it with OLE-functions.

Can you export the data to a CSV file? It would be easier to handle.
                Another option is to copy/paste the content.

As last you could try to load the file to the server, unzip it and read the content of the XML.

Perhaps you can give us more information.

Regards
                Marcus
                • 5. Re: open office spreadsheet with forms 10g
                  Udaya Chand
                  Thanks for your suggestion,

First I want to tell you that I want the data from the client system. I have already getting the data from those client system where MS-office is available. But in case of Open office and linux client I can't able to get the data from openoffice spreadsheet to forms grid.
                  • 6. Re: open office spreadsheet with forms 10g
                    Marwim
                    As said above I don't know how to access the content with Oracle tools. When I had to do so I would look at two possibilities, both require that the file is transfered to the db server. You can use webutil_file_transfer.db_to_client_with_progress to do so.

1. OO has an API that allows to control it from outside. I never used it and it would mean a lot of work to learn how to use it and OO needs to be installed on the server. Yet I assume that afterwards you can use it like OLE to read the data.

2. (My first try) Since an OO spread sheet is just a bunch of zipped XML files I would unzip one and look at the contents. http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/OpenDocument-v1.2.html
                    While processing the file this way can be done with PL/SQL (and maybe a little JAVA) it is less flexible than the first approach.

Regards
                    Marcus