This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 4:07 PM by scott.wesley RSS

Checkboxes added to report result in "page not found" error

wmhintz Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello gifted and smart APEX users,

I have two reports on a page, both use "apex_item.checkbox" in order to add a checkbox to each record for selection. The first report is supposed to use this checkbox in order save one value of the record, along with a hidden value from the previous page, into another table. The second report is supposed to use its checkbox in order to delete a selected record from this other table. Both regions have a button added to them which submits the page and runs a PL/SQL anonymous block which contains "FOR i in 1..APEX_APPLICATION.G_F01.count"...

However, if a checkbox is selected in either report and either button is clicked, I get a "page is not found" error. If no checkbox is selected and either button is clicked, the page submits itself just fine, only nothing happens, which is obviously the way it should be, I just wanted to mention it in case it might help.

First, can a checkbox be used to actually save information into another table? All I've ever seen is examples where it deletes. Second, what might I be doing which is causing this "page not found" error?

I am very new to APEX and am lucky to have been able to create the checkboxes in the first place, but I gladly welcome all suggestions. Thank you in advance!

Jim
  • 1. Re: Checkboxes added to report result in "page not found" error
    scott.wesley Guru
    gifted & smart? more like passionate and patient ;-)

My first question would be - how big is your report? The reason I ask this is because the application server will have a limit on the number of parameters per page submission, and that error get's thrown if you exceed that. Check your alert log for details.

I think the default is typically 2000 So if you have 200 rows with 10 fields each, you've just exceeded the limit. I think this still rings true with the way you've described submitting with nothing checked - it's been a while.

If not, forum still open for ideas!

Scott
  • 2. Re: Checkboxes added to report result in "page not found" error
    wmhintz Newbie
    Hi Scott,

It's an honor to hear from you, thank you so much for helping.

My report, currently, is only 3 records big, and each record has only 4 fields, not including the checkbox I added. In the future this report may expand to thousands, but not yet.

You mention an alert log, where might I find that? I haven't heard of such a thing so I don't know where to start to find it. Also, what might it tell me?

Thank you again very much for your help, I look forward to hearing from you.

Jim
  • 3. Re: Checkboxes added to report result in "page not found" error
    scott.wesley Guru
    Here is info about the alert log
    http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Alert_log
    And a way to view it with SQL
    http://chandlerdba.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/exposing-the-oracle-alert-log-to-sql/

It didn't sound like you had much going on

What is the url when you get "page not found" may just be a syntax issue?
  • 4. Re: Checkboxes added to report result in "page not found" error
    wmhintz Newbie
    Scott,

Thank you for keeping with me and providing me with both help and explanation, I appreciate it.

Do I have to be a DBA in order to view the alert log? I only have access to tables and information through APEX, I'm just a developer, I don't know how to access the alert log through APEX and the information on the pages you provided does not appear to use APEX in order to display this information. If only a DBA can view the alert log, how would I ask it of them to view this information? That is, where do I tell them to look and what are they looking for?

Back to my original question and your last question about it, the URL I get when I get the "page not found" goes from being "https://esddev.wvu.edu/ncf/f?p=104:5:..." to "https://esddev.wvu.edu/wvu404error.html". It looks like this is a custom-created page intended to handle errors, however I have gotten errors in the past which did not lead to the "page not found" page. Would this be something set up by a DBA?

I wish there was a way to show you more of what I've done. Do you want me to include my PL/SQL? I have the PL/SQL which generates the checkboxes, and I have the PL/SQL which is supposed to either save the information into a new table or delete the record. Let me know if that might help you.

Thanks again,
    Jim
  • 5. Re: Checkboxes added to report result in "page not found" error
    scott.wesley Guru
    The alert log lives in the database server, which you may not have access to.

Depending on how active the database is, it's shouldn't be difficult to find information that relates to your task - if of course the problem can be found there. Your DBA should know where this file is located.

What version of APEX are you on? error handling has progressed recently. I asked about the URL because that may give hints as to what happened. The 404 page may be an application server setting, not sure.

PL/SQL may help...
  • 6. Re: Checkboxes added to report result in "page not found" error
    wmhintz Newbie
    Hi Scott,

Thank you so much for all of your help with this issue I've been having. The answer was actually given to me on another forum, and it's amazingly and frustratingly simple.

I did not have the checkboxes marked as "Standard Report column", I had them marked as "Simple Checkbox". Once I made the switch, the "page not found" stopped and my PL/SQL code for deleting or inserting the record actually worked.

So, everything was working all along, I just didn't have the column attribute for the checkboxes correct.

Thank you again for everything, have a great New Year.
    Jim
  • 7. Re: Checkboxes added to report result in "page not found" error
    scott.wesley Guru
    I'm not sure I've experienced that symptom when I've had the column type incorrect - interesting.

Thank you for sharing the solution to others in this forum.

Scott

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points