This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 6:59 AM by user12273962 RSS

VirtualBox kernel problem

983617 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear All,
It is my first post here so please be gentle.
I'm trying to install VirtualBox on my Oracle Linux 6.3, I did use VB before on my Mac for last 2 years but I'm not on Linux.
After succesful download & install VirtualBox-4.2-4.2.6_82870_el6-1.x86_64.rpm
I get a message

#Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing
'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'
as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.#

So i go and do this getting:

[root@redstation peter]# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules [  OK  ]
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules [FAILED]
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

So checking the log file

Makefile:181: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.

Could someone guide me what to do next please

Many Thanks,

Peter

Edited by: user9111342 on Jan 8, 2013 1:10 PM

My Computer is just Dell OPTIPLEX 745 with 6GB ram if that is important
  • 1. Re: VirtualBox kernel problem
    user12273962 Pro
    Load the kernel sources....

You may not need all of the source so try load the kernel-devel package first. Here is a link that deals with Cent OS but it should be the same.

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/I_need_the_Kernel_Source
  • 2. Re: VirtualBox kernel problem
    983617 Newbie
    I'm sorry but, the thing is that I don't want to try things, especially that CentOS is not an OL and the libraries and sources are on different servers. I'm sure there will be someone here who actually can point me in the right direction within the Oracle Linux. It must be a common issue that people install OL and the VB on it.

Edited by: user9111342 on 08-Jan-2013 14:35
  • 3. Re: VirtualBox kernel problem
    983617 Newbie
    And just to let you know I did try it as there was no other answer here and it didn't work. So if anyone here would know how to help me please do.

Maybe I'm naive but if Linux is from Oracle and VirtualBox is from Oracle it should work out of the box?
  • 4. Re: VirtualBox kernel problem
    983617 Newbie
    I have tried as well installing dkms as it say in the VB manual and
    [root@redstation peter]# yum install dkms
    Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, security
    ol6_UEK_latest | 1.2 kB 00:00
    ol6_latest | 1.4 kB 00:00
    ol6_latest/primary | 24 MB 01:45
    ol6_latest 18419/18419
    Setting up Install Process
    No package dkms available.
    Error: Nothing to do
    [root@redstation peter]# VirtualBox
    WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
    available for the current kernel (2.6.39-300.17.3.el6uek.x86_64) or it failed to
    load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    > You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
    Qt WARNING: QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
    Qt WARNING: Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
    [root@redstation peter]# sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules [  OK  ]
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules [FAILED]
    (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
    And in the log still say
    Makefile:181: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop
    It looks like there is no dkms for OL ????????? I don't understand what is happening or what is NOT happening
  • 5. Re: VirtualBox kernel problem
    user12273962 Pro
    I understand your frustration as your new to any like this. However, this not an OL problem or CentOS problem or a virtualbox problem. Since you're new to the world of Linux let me give you some vital information. There are many different flavors of linux. There are even varying kernel "paths" or "tracks". Not all of them are the same and not all of them provide support for everything out of the box.

DKMS was started by Dell. It was a way to make it easier to compile kernel modules. It works pretty good... though I've had issues with it in the past. DKMS is not part of Oracle and I'm pretty sure that Virtualbox could use DKMS before Oracle every bought Sun. You will find there are many situation like this in the Linux world. Don't expect DKMS to show up in the native source of every Linux distribution.

Check out this thread

Re: How to install GCC and DKMS on Oracle Linux?
  • 6. Re: VirtualBox kernel problem
    983617 Newbie
    Too much parenting advice, which I don't need, I have wrote chess game on Sharp MZ-700 when I was eleven.
    It's not Linux it's people, you ask the question and you get all of that instead of an answer.
    The answer is very simple:
    Here is what you need to install under Oracle Linux or Red Hat Enterprise Linux to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions:

yum -y install gcc kernel-uek-devel-$(uname -r)

The packages are available from the Oracle public yum repository as already mentioned, or on the installation DVD in the server directory.
    Thanks to Dude

Edited by: anonimous on Jan 9, 2013 11:27 AM
  • 7. Re: VirtualBox kernel problem
    user12273962 Pro
    And you are so smart that you can't even "Google your solution".... you just come here pretend someone has to feed the information to you on a platter.

I see you referenced the link I posted. Too bad you're not smart enough to find yourself. ;) So much for the "treasure" that "wrote chess game on a Sharp MZ-700". Maybe you can make it your life's mission to have DKMS and the kernel sources included on all Linux distributions so you won't have to do any "extra work".

Rest assured.... my "parent complex" won't take the time to respond to you in the future.
  • 8. Re: VirtualBox kernel problem
    983617 Newbie
    It had nothing to do with dkms as you can see above. Everything needed to be done is excerpted above.

I appriciate your googling skills, well done.
  • 9. Re: VirtualBox kernel problem
    user12273962 Pro

Edited by: user12273962 on Jan 10, 2013 6:59 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points