This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2013 10:40 AM by BillyVerreynne RSS

Is there a GUI console for Oracle Linux

Jimbo Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have installed Oracle Linux 6-2 and was wondering if there is a GUI console for this ( similar to what was previously Gnome on Redhat etc ) in order to allow me to run multiple terminal windows from the console itself ( rather than from a remote client ).

I believe there is an xorg-x11-twm ( Tiny Windows Manager ) package available from the Public YUM site. However I am not sure if this is what would provide me what I am after.

Also the package appears to come as
xorg-x11-twm-1.0.3-5.1.elf.i686.rpm as well as
xorg-x11-twm-1.0.3-5.1.elf.src.rpm

I presume i686 is the binary package and src is the source for the package ?

Any insight appreciated.
Jim
  • 1. Re: Is there a GUI console for Oracle Linux
    Dude! Guru
    The following is from one of my previous anwers regarding the installation of a Desktop GUI under OL 6:

1. If you are still at the initial installation using the OS installation DVD:

When you see the window to select the set of software to install, leave Basic Server selected, but choose the Customize now ratio button and press the Next button to continue. Select Desktops on the left side of the window. Select at least the X Window System, Fonts and Desktop packages. To get a similar Desktop like in previous Enterprise Linux releases, add the General Purpose Desktop and Graphical Administration Tools packages.

2. If you are past the initial installation and have restarted the system from your harddrive, issue the following commands as root:

<pre>
    yum groupinstall "X Window System" Desktop "General Purpose Desktop" \
    "Graphical Administration Tools" "Legacy X Window System compatibility"

init 5

sed -i 's|id:3:initdefault:|id:5:initdefault:|g' /etc/inittab
    shutdown -r now
    </pre>

Btw, You can also have multiple console windows in text mode using ALT-F2, ALT-F3, etc.
  • 2. Re: Is there a GUI console for Oracle Linux
    Jimbo Explorer
    When I enter the command you listed I get a warning that for each component no such group exists and that there are no packages in any of the requested groups available to install or upgrade. Is this because I have not configured any YUM repositories ?

Also is a GUI environment a mandatory pre-requisite if I intend to install say a web browser such as Firefox onto the server / console ?

Jim
  • 3. Re: Is there a GUI console for Oracle Linux
    Dude! Guru
    Yes, you need access to the YUM repository. The Oracle public yum repository will work. And yes, you need to install the X Window system if you want to run Firefox from the server's console. You can also use ssh with X Forwarding (putty and Xming installed on your PC), without the need for X installed on your server. Or use a VNC client with Tiger VNC and twm installed on the server. However, I'm not going into further explaining because I'd sit here all afternoon writing it up for you. Please check with Google, there are many sites explaining the concepts. Your easiest solution might be to reinstall the system with X Window and GUI support as I described or use the Oracle online public yum repository.
  • 4. Re: Is there a GUI console for Oracle Linux
    Jimbo Explorer
    Thanks Dude for all your help, I have bitten the bullet and resinstalled Linux 6-3 onto the server. In regards to the customised elements I require for Desktop I have been presented with the list

Desktop
    Desktop Debugging & Performance Tools
    Desktop Platform
    Fonts
    General Purpose Desktop
    Graphical Administration Tools
    Input Methods
    KDE Desktop                    
    Legacy X Window System Compatibility
    Remote Desktop Clients
    X Window System

I have chosen all except for -

Input Methods
    KDE Desktop
    Legacy X Windows System Compatibility
    Remote Desktop Clients

Q. The General Purpose Desktop appears to be what was Gnome, what is the KDE Desktop - is it worth having as well ?

Q. What is Remote Desktop Client - does it allow me to connect from a remote client via the RDP protocol ?

Q. I didn't see twm mentioned ( as you recommended ) in any of the underlying packages for the above components - is twm listed under another component ?

Q. Likewise I didn't see VNC mentioned - is that available as part of an install or is it downloadable later ?

please advise,
    Jim
  • 5. Re: Is there a GUI console for Oracle Linux
    Jimbo Explorer
    Per last update, I located the TWM package under the Legacy X Window System Compatibility

Also I found Tiger VNC under Desktop ( it wasn't selected by default ).

Jim
  • 6. Re: Is there a GUI console for Oracle Linux
    Dude! Guru
    Gnome is the standard Desktop for Linux. KDE is used on other platforms, e.g. older versions of Solaris. It's a matter of taste. I find neither Desktop platform very attractive. RDP allows you to use a remote VNC client to share your running desktop session on the server. It is not compatible with Microsoft RDP, which is not VNC based.
  • 7. Re: Is there a GUI console for Oracle Linux
    Jimbo Explorer
    Great thanks, I have reinstalled and everything seems on track.

For the record if RDP allows remote VNC clients to connect then what is the difference between that and the Tiger VNC also on the Server ?

BTW since you mention them do you have a preferred GUI other than Gnome or KDE or do you just prefer a command line terminal ?

thanks again for all your advice,
    Jim
  • 8. Re: Is there a GUI console for Oracle Linux
    Dude! Guru
    X11 is client server based. In terms of remote support like X forwarding, the X11 client runs on the remote system, but all screen output and mouse interaction is handled by your local X server that is directly attached to the display in front of you. VNC works on the basis of screen sharing, meaning everything you see runs on the remote system.

I use ssh with X forwarding, but that's probably because I'm a Mac user, which has the best Terminal program and X11 Server seamlessly integrated. If I was on a MS-Windows machine, I'd probably prefer to use VNC. You could also use PuTTy with X forwarding and run Xming or whatever under MS Windows, but I don't like PuTTy. I prefer GUI over command line, when available.

Regarding your question about VNC. Gnome comes with "vino". Vino allows remote users to connect to a running GNOME session using VNC. You can install TigerVNC for running a VNC server without the need to run Gnome or X Window on your server. TigerVNC uses TWM, a small footprint X11 Window Server to allow you to execute X11 applications from inside a remote VNC session.

Gnome was mainly Developed by Red Hat. TWM is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twm. The OL package name is xorg-x11-twm.
  • 9. Re: Is there a GUI console for Oracle Linux
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Jimbo wrote:

Q. The General Purpose Desktop appears to be what was Gnome, what is the KDE Desktop - is it worth having as well ?
    The Battles between The Trolls of Gnome and The Knights of KDE have been waged for a long time. Even Linus weighed in at a stage slamming the design concept of Gnome. Most "serious" Linux users (debatable term though) prefer KDE.

I use KDE on Ubuntu - was called the Kubuntu distro before Canonical dropped both KDE and default Gnome for Unity.

It is the best desktop GUI around - including OS/X IMO.
    Q. What is Remote Desktop Client - does it allow me to connect from a remote client via the RDP protocol ?
    Yes. My preference is VNC server. Works well over slow network infrastructure - something I often faced with when doing remote support via a number of ssh hops. Also easy to tunnel.
    Q. I didn't see twm mentioned ( as you recommended ) in any of the underlying packages for the above components - is twm listed under another component ?
    twm is my preference on servers. Small. Suffices for running installation/admin GUIs. None of the desktop GUI bloat.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points