9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2013 11:07 AM by User286067 RSS

Importing to 11gR2

user12263161
      Hi All,

I am trying to import the dump file to 11gr2 taken from 10g database. While running impdp the process hangs after sometime with no error message on log file. I have checked the alert.log and there is no error message there too.

I dont understand why is it getting hung.

Setup details are: Old database: 10g on RHEL 5.1

New Database: 11gR2 on RHEL 5.5

Please suggest.

Regards
        • 1. Re: Importing to 11gR2
          post the import log.
          • 2. Re: Importing to 11gR2
            user12263161
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."FND_WEB_CONFIG" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."FND_STATS" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."FND_IMUTL" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."FND_CONC_STAT" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."FND_OAM" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."WF_CORE" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."WF_QUEUE" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."BIS_DEBUG_PUB" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."GL_FLEX_INSERT_PKG" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."GL_FORMSINFO" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."GL_INTERFACE_PKG" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."GL_BIS_ALERTS_PKG" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."GL_SECURITY_PKG" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."GMA_PURGE_DDL" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."GMA_PURGE_ENGINE" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."GMP_BOM_ROUTING_PKG" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."HRFASTANSWERS" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."ORACLEMYPAGE" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."ORACLEOASIS" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."ORACLEPLUGS" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."ORACLENAVIGATE" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."INVPUTLI" created with compilation warnings
            ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."MTL_CCEOI_CONC_PVT" created with compilation warnings
            • 3. Re: Importing to 11gR2
              Srini Chavali-Oracle
              This is an EBS database - I believe the only supported method to upgrade an EBS database is via DBUA - is there a reason you are using expdp/impdp ?

HTH
              Srini
              • 4. Re: Importing to 11gR2
                Dean Gagne-Oracle
                I would stop the Data Pump job and then restart it with tracing. To find out more about tracing look here:

See MOS Note:Export/Import DataPump Parameter TRACEHow to Diagnose Oracle Data Pump [ID 286496.1]

This may help in trying to figure out what is hanging. If you get a trace file and can't figure it out, then I would contact Oracle support to see if they can help.

Debugging hangs are very difficult without extra information.

Dean
                • 5. Re: Importing to 11gR2
                  User286067
                  Sometimes this delay/hang can be attributed to referenced db-links that are probably invalid. And that timeout is really long, is that the case here?

raj
                  • 6. Re: Importing to 11gR2
                    Dean Gagne-Oracle
                    Since this is a dumpfile import, my guess is no, but ??? Since package bodies are being imported, we have seen that some package bodies can be extremely large and the time needed to convert the xml to ddl and then execute the ddl can be very long. I ran some performance tests on this but don't remember the exact timings.

Have you tried to type ctrl-c and then type status on the import terminal to see what the status of the job is? That may help alot.

Dean
                    • 7. Re: Importing to 11gR2
                      User286067
                      Dean Gagne wrote:
                      Since this is a dumpfile import, my guess is no, but ??? Since package bodies are being imported, we have seen that some package bodies can be extremely large and the time needed to convert the xml to ddl and then execute the ddl can be very long. I ran some performance tests on this but don't remember the exact timings.
                      I do expdp from prod and impdp into non-prod more times per week than i care to count. These are schema level expdp, so occasionally when db link (espcially the ones that point to another production system) get re-created in non-prod, they are in invalid state, until fixed (since non-prod systems have no access to prod systems), the views, synonyms or plsql objects that refer these invalid db links take a long time in compile phase.

Unless there is some magic sauce that we are missing, this is always the case.

Raj
                      • 8. Re: Importing to 11gR2
                        user12263161
                        Well, The case here is I am importing the dump file of 100G size. And i have done ctrl+c and restarted the process twice.

I have observed that at various places the impdp seems to be hanged but after sometime ( an hour or so) it seems to be running. in this case probably impdp is dead slow. My database is on NFS (Gig port on both end storage n server). I dont know when it will be finished. Its has run for almost 10 hours now. Hate import process :(

ORA-31684: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."IGI_I_PKG" already exists
                        ORA-31684: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."IGI_PKG" already exists
                        ORA-31684: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."IGI_P_PKG" already exists
                        ORA-31684: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."IGI_P_PKG" already exists
                        ORA-31684: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."IGI_IP_PKG" already exists
                        ORA-31684: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."IGI_ILP_PKG" already exists
                        ORA-31684: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"APPS"."IGI_IPKG" already exists

It is stopped at some place now. It will start again after half n hour so.
                        • 9. Re: Importing to 11gR2
                          User286067
                          user12263161 wrote:
                          Well, The case here is I am importing the dump file of 100G size. And i have done ctrl+c and restarted the process twice.
                          hmmm ... you probably checked already but, ctrl+c alone not necessarily will kill your impdp session. unless you issues 'kill' command on impdp command line. So, how many concurrent impdp sessions you have going on right now? if you have multiple you could see long waits to library cache latch pin/waits too.

what is the status/waits for all dm/dw sessions?