5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2013 8:49 AM by 983859 RSS

Possibility of using R codes in ORE

Good day!

Could you please give me an advice? The subject is Oracle R Enterprise.

Currently we use the following steps:
      Excel -> via RExcel to R (client) -> Oracle - > R (client) -> via RExcel to Excel

1.     User is working (from the beginning to end of the process) with Excel file only
      2.     Excel file connects with R via RExcel
      3.     R is getting data from Oracle server in network
      4.     R performs the calculations on client’s machine and creates .png graphics and data frames
      5.     Excel is getting data from R via RExcel and adds .png graphics

Deficiencies:
      - R needs much time to load data from Oracle (step 3)
      - limit in volume of data to be processed (depends on RAM on clients machine)

To solve this problem my Company is thinking on using the ORE.

So as I understood, the calculations (step 4) will be done on the server. And client’s R should receive the fully calculated data frames from ORE. Is that correct?
      Is it possible to use current R packages or do I need to rewrite R scripts which currently works on client’s R (in case of using ORE)?
      How to work with graphics? Currently R creates graphics on local machine. Will it be possible with ORE?
      What are the options of buying ORE: only as part of Oracle Advanced Analytics or it’s possible to buy just Oracle R Enterprise?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
      Ruslan
        • 1. Re: Possibility of using R codes in ORE
          Denis Mukhin-Oracle
          Ruslan,
          So as I understood, the calculations (step 4) will be done on the server. And client’s R should receive the fully calculated data frames from ORE. Is that correct?</font>
          Correct. ORE has something called embedded R execution. In this mode R is running on the DB server and thus will have have access to a bigger system then the client machine. This functionality is available as SQL table function or we also have R client wrappers. Besides data frames you can also get graphics as base64 encoded png.
          Is it possible to use current R packages or do I need to rewrite R scripts which currently works on client’s R (in case of using ORE)?</font>
          You can use any package with this approach. You will need to have then installed in R that is running on the DB server. If you are planning to pass package specific objects between client and server you will need to have the package available on both sides.
          How to work with graphics? Currently R creates graphics on local machine. Will it be possible with ORE?</font>
          Yes, you can get graphics as well. The details will depend on the interface used (SQL or R)
          What are the options of buying ORE: only as part of Oracle Advanced Analytics or it’s possible to buy just Oracle R Enterprise?</font>
          Currently ORE is only available as part of OAA option for 11.2. However, it is being distributed via [url http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/options/advanced-analytics/r-enterprise/ore-downloads-1502823.html]OTN

Denis
          • 2. Re: Possibility of using R codes in ORE
            Denis Mukhin-Oracle
            Ruslan,

Another feature of ORE that you might find useful is transparency layer. It allows you to do data manipulation in R against tables in the database just like you would do with data frames. ORE will then convert your expressions to SQL and execute then on the database. Everything is done transparently.

Denis
            • 3. Re: Possibility of using R codes in ORE
              Denis, thanks for your answers!

But I have more questions.
              1. About server operationg system.
              My Company prefer Windows servers, but as I see at the downloading page, the latest version of ORE is only for Linux server. Is Windows fully supported server operating system? Can I have any problems in future using Windows server OS?

2. About hardware requirement.
              Is there any special hardware requirements for install and use ORE?

3. About license.
              I have server with 2x Xeon processors (8 cores). So I need to buy 2x23,000$ license?
              Do I need licenses for clients machines?
              • 4. Re: Possibility of using R codes in ORE
                Denis Mukhin-Oracle
                Ruslan,
                My Company prefer Windows servers, but as I see at the downloading page, the latest version of ORE is only for Linux server. Is Windows fully supported server operating system? Can I have any problems in future using Windows server OS?
                Windows is fully supported but there could be a small lag before we publish all the ports for a new release. Linux usually comes out first followed by Windows. We have just recently released ORE 1.3 on Linux and other ports will be coming out soon.
                Is there any special hardware requirements for install and use ORE?
                Not really. You should go by the database needs as ORE is a database option. From ORE perspective the hardware will determine the size of the problems you can solve in R. There are lots of moving parts so it is hard to say in advance. The best approach is to have a POC to try things out first.
                I have server with 2x Xeon processors (8 cores). So I need to buy 2x23,000$ license? Do I need licenses for clients machines?
                Licensing is not that easy. It is best if you get in touch with the sales folks. If you need help drop me an email. I am denis.x.mukhin at oracle.com.

Denis
                • 5. Re: Possibility of using R codes in ORE
                  Denis, thanks a lot!