This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 10:50 AM by Siberia RSS

starting an apex proyect. have some doubts.

Siberia Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi.
i want to star developing a mobile application using apex. i don't know anything about it, but actually i am programming in oracle forms & reports 10g.
i have a lot experience in oracle pl/sql and sql (15 years), so i hope apex be easy for me. Here is my doubt:

i need to develop an application that can be used for sales people using mobile devices (using android, ios or windows mobile ), this is for taking orders from customers around some cities in my country.
we need the application can work offline (some places have no good 3G signal), so we will load (i guess in an oracle lite database for mobile) all the necessary info (customers, prices, products, etc.) and require that the sales person take the order from customer and when he have good signal, he can connect or synchronize the data with the company main Oracle Server.

some other areas will have no problem with the signal, so the application can connect directly with the server.

if you have some experience in a similar proyect or can give me some feedback, i will appreciate it so much.
regards
manuel
  • 1. Re: starting an apex proyect. have some doubts.
    MarkoGoricki Journeyer
    Hi Manuel,

I think that you can't run APEX on Oracle Database Lite, because first of all you can't run PL/SQL code there. So for offline version (for mobile devices) you should use something else.

Br,
    Marko Goricki
    ------------------------
    http://apexbyg.blogspot.com/
  • 2. Re: starting an apex proyect. have some doubts.
    Vite DBA Pro
    Hi Manual,

Apex is not like a client programming language running a mobile client.

Apex runs in an Oracle database and is served through an app server to a browser. If the client can not connect to the server then you have no Apex. In order to have a local version of Apex, your local client has to be able to run an approved version of Oracle. I don't know of any common mobile device that can do that.

Regards
    Andre
  • 3. Re: starting an apex proyect. have some doubts.
    Siberia Newbie
    thanks for feed back.
    OK, i got it clearly now about the offline version, i just can't do it.

but i will like to know what mobile OS are supported for Apex ?
  • 4. Re: starting an apex proyect. have some doubts.
    Vite DBA Pro
    Hi,

The list of browsers that are supported by Apex are here

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/install.42/e35123/pre_require.htm#BABCHJIB

The OS these browses run in, mobile or desktop, shouldn't be an issue.

One point about an offline version of Apex. The oracle database (with an Apex installation) is capable of running on reasonably mobile, low configuration laptop PC's as long as they meet the minimum requirements. EG, Windows 7/8 pro version with 4Gb Ram. This means that it would not be too difficult for you to build an Apex application on a reasonably small and lightweight PC that could be designed to sync certain data with a central database when a connection is available. From a licensing point of view, cost could be kept to a minimum by using Oracle's XE version of the database for the mobile instances, which is licence free but with restricted features that shouldn't affect your requirements.

Regards
    Andre
  • 5. Re: starting an apex proyect. have some doubts.
    Siberia Newbie
    Andre, thanks for the link and for the additional information about the offline version, witch is correct.
    The problem is that we need to use an mobile app that can be used via mobile devices, more specifically, from handhelds or smartphones, so i was considering the offline version, but now i know that absolutely i can't do that with apex. but any way apex seems great and easy form building a fast mobile app, so i will ltry it.
    thanks again.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points