12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 11:36 AM by Steven Zorb RSS

Build problem

Steven Zorb
      JDev 11.1.2.1

I am having trouble building my application. When I make a change in the Model project and 'Run', Model is not built and the change does not make it into the executable. If I clean the Viewcontroller project or delete its classes directory then it forces the Model changes to be included in the make.

If I try to clean the Model project or delete its classes directory I get the following when I try to 'Run' / build.

Error: model/DataControls.dcx was not found in the project output directory.

Thanks, for your help, Steve
        • 1. Re: Build problem
          Sudipto Desmukh
          What technology are you using in your Model layer ?
          Just try selecting your Model layer and Press Ctrl+F9 or Alt+F9 (Make or Rebuild)

You dont need to go through a long process of manually deleting classes folder. Just use the Jdev menu Build -> Clean All/Selected project.
          • 2. Re: Build problem
            Timo Hahn
            Open the project properties of the view controller project and select the 'Dependencies' node. There you should see the model.jpr. Select the model.jpr and click the pencil to edit the setting and check that the check mark is set at the 'Build Output'. If you don't see the model project in the dependencies click the green '+' and add the model project with it's build output.

This should solve the problem.

Timo
            • 3. Re: Build problem
              Steven Zorb
              Timo,

With this modification, changes to the Model layer are now included in the build.

Do you know why I get the error message when I clean the Model layer?

Thank you, Steve
              • 4. Re: Build problem
                Timo Hahn
                If I try to clean the Model project or delete its classes directory I get the following when I try to 'Run' / build.
                By 'Run' you mean that you start run the view controller project?
                This error should be gone once the model project is build before the view controller project. The view controller project needs the DataBindings.cpx file to access the data model from the view controller. The fiel should be copied to the classes folder once the model project is build (successfully).

Timo
                • 5. Re: Build problem
                  Steven Zorb
                  Timo,

When I 'run'. I right cllick and run Welcome.jsp which is the only page in my unbounded task flow: adfc-config.xml. I found this to work for me early on so I continue to 'run' this way. If there is a better way I am quite open to that.

I tried again to clean the Model project and 'run'. It still generates the same error. The file it is looking for is model/DataControls.dcx rather than DataBindings.cpx.

I may have spoken too quickly in saying that the build is working properly. If I modify a view object by doing something simple like changing an attribute lable and then build, the change makes it into the final product. However, if I were to add a new attribute and modify the query for a view object then it will not run properlyl until I clean the ViewControl project and the build ('run).

Steve
                  • 6. Re: Build problem
                    Timo Hahn
                    Can you (as a test) setup a fresh 'Fusion Web Application' and try your workflow in the new project?

Timo
                    • 7. Re: Build problem
                      Steven Zorb
                      Timo,

This is my first ADF application. I can certainly create a new Fusion Web App. However, I do not know how I would pull my 'workflow' in to the new application.

Steve
                      • 8. Re: Build problem
                        Timo Hahn
                        That's not what I meant.
                        create a fresh Adf application and make a change to the model layer then start the workflow from the view controller project, just like on the other app.
                        I want to know if the same error persists, or if it's working. Next step is to clear the model and run the app again. The model project should be rebuild.

Timo
                        • 9. Re: Build problem
                          Steven Zorb
                          Timo,

I created a new ADF application.
                          Created a database connection.
                          Created entity objects for all the tables.
                          Created a custom ViewObject.
                          Created an ApplicationModule.
                          Put the custom ViewObject in the ApplicationModule.
                          Created a .jsf and put it in the unbounded task flow.
                          Created a table on the .jsf from the custom ViewObject.

This compiles and runs fine.
                          I remove some columns from the .jsf table, ViewObject attributes and the Query.
                          The build works but there is an error at run.
                          The columns were not removed from the .jsf pageDef.
                          I manually removed the columns from the pageDef and it runs fine.
                          I re-added the columns to the .jsf table, ViewObject attrubutes and Query.
                          It builds and runs fine.
                          I did a clean all.
                          It builds and runs fine.

Is this the test you wanted to see?

I appreciate the help, Steve
                          • 10. Re: Build problem
                            Timo Hahn
                            Yes, that's the test I wanted to see.
                            What do learn from it? Looks like jdev is working ok with the fresh workspace. There must be something in the other workspace which prevents this. Finding out what exactly can be hard or impossible.
                            I would do the following:
                            Create a new fresh workspace using the same names and pathes used for the not working one. Only the workspace gets a new name. The names of the model and view controller project have the same names.
                            Now copy the source folder from the not working to the fresh workspace. To get the source recognized in the new project you need to refresh the new model project.
                            One the model project compiles ok you do the same with the view controller project.
                            The hope is that after all this the error is gone.

You must be careful that you don't copy the '.jpr' files as I assume the problem in there.

Timo
                            • 11. Re: Build problem
                              Steven Zorb
                              Timo,

I will give this a try.

Thanks, Steve
                              • 12. Re: Build problem
                                Steven Zorb
                                Timo,

Sorry for the delay.

I created a new application. The app name is different but Model and ViewController have the same names and paths. I copied the src directories from the 'real' application to the new application paths. I did not copy the .jpr files. When I open the new app the Model project looks like the 'real' app. However the ViewController is missing my .jsf and my task flow .xml files.

Perhaps I need more detailed inlstructions as what to clean, rebuild, make etc once the .src files have been copied.

Thank you, Steve