This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 2:34 PM by 983913 RSS

Sun Trunking 1.3

983913 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have not been able to locate any documentation regarding Sun Trunking 1.3 policy=0 (Solaris 9). All documentation indicates that there are only 4 valid policies (1-4). Although, I believe policy=0 is a valid option. Can anyone point me to the documentation that captures the policy=0? Thanks.
  • 1. Re: Sun Trunking 1.3
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19342-01/817-3374-11/817-3374-11.pdf
  • 2. Re: Sun Trunking 1.3
    983913 Newbie
    Thank you for the link with the pdf. Although, this is the documentation that I was referring to, which I have already reviewed. It only lists 4 policies.

Trunking Policies
    The four supported trunking policies used in the Sun Trunking 1.3 software are MAC, Round Robin, IP Destination, and IP Source+Destination. With these policies, if a link fails, the traffic fails over to the next available link. The policies are defined below.

1 (MAC ADDRESS)
    2 (ROUND ROBIN)
    3 (IP DESTINATION ADDRESS)
    4 (IP SOURCE and IP DESTINATION ADDRESSES)

But there is a fifth policy option "0", which I can't find documentation on, which is PASS THROUGH. Seems to be pretty self explanatory, but it is no where in any of the documentation for SUN Trunking 1.3.

Thanks again.
  • 3. Re: Sun Trunking 1.3
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    Did you read this:

<i>The <b>four supported</b> trunking policies used in the Sun Trunking 1.3 software are MAC, Round Robin, IP Destination, and IP Source+Destination.</i>

You will have to find someone within Oracle to look at internal documentation since it's not a supported option...
  • 4. Re: Sun Trunking 1.3
    ML Starkey-Oracle Journeyer
    I supported the Trunking product for several years.
    If there was an undocumented "0" option, I would have
    heard of it, but it's news to me.
  • 5. Re: Sun Trunking 1.3
    983913 Newbie
    Thanks. Interesting that you have not heard of it. Below is the output when you execute the following command as root - "/etc/opt/SUNWconn/trunking/bin/nettr -policy"

DEV Name Policy Type
    ce
    0 (PASS THROUGH)
    1 (MAC ADDRESS)
    2 (ROUND ROBIN)
    3 (IP DESTINATION ADDRESS)
    4 (IP SOURCE and IP DESTINATION ADDRESSES)

Additionally, I do not get an error message (not within supported range (1-4), using default Policy 1) when the policy is set to "0" in the nettr.sh file.

nettr -setup 1 device=ce members=1,2 policy=0

Per the previous reply, I'll probably need to see if there is any international documentation that is available via an Oracle representative. Thanks again.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points