3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 12:26 AM by Dird RSS

RMAN backup (no archivelogs) - undo tbsp issues

Dird
      Hi guys,

Today I tried an inconsistent clone (from production to test DB) but it complained about the undo tablespace. Full message was:
      Oracle Error:
      ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS would get error below
      ORA-01194: file 2 needs more recovery to be consistent
      ORA-01110: data file 2: '/ora/PPAHED01/data01/PPAHED01/datafile/undotbs1.dbf'

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
      RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
      RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
      RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 01/10/2013 15:40:17
      RMAN-03015: error occurred in stored script Memory Script
      RMAN-06053: unable to perform media recovery because of missing log
      RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 2 seq 65710 lowscn 133872228360 found to restore
      RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 2 seq 65709 lowscn 133872193688 found to restore
      RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 189087 lowscn 133872228359 found to restore
      RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 189086 lowscn 133872226828 found to restore
      RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 189085 lowscn 133872194295 found to restore
      The backup was of the control file and a full backup but there's an issue with the undo.

Can this issue be fixed by just removing the undo tablespace completely then creating one in mount? Or do I have to do lots of steps like here: http://sysinfo.bascomp.org/oracle/troubleshooting-for-startup-inconsistent-db/

I've not seen this issue when cloning before (although that was cloning an unused DB).

Mike
        • 1. Re: RMAN backup (no archivelogs) - undo tbsp issues
          damorgan
          To answer your question you can probably just create the UNDO tablespace ... no harm in trying.

But there is substantial harm in running a production system, as you are doing, and not being in archive log mode.

Unless your production database is a toy holding nothing more important than your mother's cookie recipes I highly recommend you don't even take the time to blink your eyes before you enable archive logging: What you have is the moral equivalent to performing surgery without first washing your hands.
          • 2. Re: RMAN backup (no archivelogs) - undo tbsp issues
            Hemant K Chitale
            That's quite a dangerous play. If undo is required, you can be sure that there were active transactions and that datafile blocks may also neeed recovery to make them inconsistent. Without undo, you could well end up with inconsistent data.

Hemant K Chitale
            • 3. Re: RMAN backup (no archivelogs) - undo tbsp issues
              Dird
              damorgan wrote:
              To answer your question you can probably just create the UNDO tablespace ... no harm in trying.

But there is substantial harm in running a production system, as you are doing, and not being in archive log mode.

Unless your production database is a toy holding nothing more important than your mother's cookie recipes I highly recommend you don't even take the time to blink your eyes before you enable archive logging: What you have is the moral equivalent to performing surgery without first washing your hands.
              The production system is in archivelog mode, I just didnt want to FTP the log files over too as it doesn't have to be a completely recent backup. It doesn't even have to be from the last month.

Mike