7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2013 10:49 AM by David Clement RSS

Question about Cluvfy stage -pre dbinst

David Clement
      I'm putting together a three-node RAC with Oracle 11gR2 under Solaris 10. I've installed the Grid Infrastructure and checked it out with 'crsctl check crs' and 'srvctl status asm'. All looks good. The next step is 'clufvy stage -pre dbinst -n all -osdba dba verbose'. Now there is a disconcerting inconsistency.

When I run the pre-db-installation check from Node 1, cluvfy returns complete success, no worries. However, when I run the same command from Nodes 2 and 3 -- where I would naively expect to get the same complete success -- cluvfy reports failure. It says that CRS is not installed on any of the nodes.

Does any expert here know if this inconsistency represents some inconsistency in node configuration that I need to address before proceeding with the installation? Or is it just not useful to run cluvfy on Nodes 2 and 3?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.
        • 1. Re: Question about Cluvfy stage -pre dbinst
          Iordan Iotzov
          The output should contain some clues as of why you got failure. Tracing can give even more information - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14072_01/rac.112/e10717/cvu.htm#CJGEJEAF

It could be as simple as not properly configured passwordless ssh…

Iordan Iotzov
          http://iiotzov.wordpress.com/
          • 2. Re: Question about Cluvfy stage -pre dbinst
            N88
            Have you checked node reachability,user equivalence on all the nodes and itself.

If yes,as Mr. Iordan Iotzov said, can you please provide us the cluvfy details on where you are facing the failure.

Thanks
            -N
            • 3. Re: Question about Cluvfy stage -pre dbinst
              David Clement
              Thanks for the quick attention. Yes, I have checked reachability. Not only was the installation of Grid Infrastructure from Node 1 to Nodes 2 and 3 successful, but I also used crs_stat to confirm that from each node the other two nodes appear online (I assume that's what you mean by 'checking reachability').

The error output from cluvfy is about /opt/oraInventory/inventory.xml, which is present on Node 1 but not on the other two nodes. Since Grid Infrastructure installation succeeded, I'm surprised that the file isn't found. I am going to open an SR about this and mark this question as answered.

Since you asked, here are the details of the error from cluvfy. Again: there is no error on Node 1, but on 2 and 3, when I run './cluvfy stage -pre dbinst -n all -osdba dba -verbose', all tests pass up to 'Checking CRS integrity...' and then there is a series of errors, which I've copied and pasted below:

---- CLUVFY OUTPUT FOLLOWS -----

Checking CRS integrity...

ERROR:
              /opt/oraInventory/ContentsXML/inventory.xml (No such file or directory)

ERROR:
              CRS is not installed on any of the nodes
              Verification cannot proceed

CRS integrity check failed

Checking node application existence...

ERROR:

ERROR:

Checking if Clusterware is installed on all nodes...

ERROR:

ERROR:

PRVF-9676 : Clusterware is not installed on all nodes checked : "scl-sae-db-03"

PRVF-9652 : Cluster Time Synchronization Services check failed
              Checking time zone consistency...

ERROR:
              CRS home "{0}" is not a valid directory

Pre-check for database installation was unsuccessful on all the nodes.

--- CLUVFY OUTPUT ENDS -----
              • 4. Re: Question about Cluvfy stage -pre dbinst
                JohnWatson
                David Clement wrote:
                When I run the pre-db-installation check from Node 1, cluvfy returns complete success, no worries. However, when I run the same command from Nodes 2 and 3 -- where I would naively expect to get the same complete success -- cluvfy reports failure. It says that CRS is not installed on any of the nodes.
                You will get this if the inventory didn't update correctly. Check for CRS="true" in $ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory/ContentsXML/inventory.xml on all three nodes (I'm guessing that's where your inventory file is), if that string isn't there on the two nodes with problems, correct it by running
                $GRID_HOME/oui/bin/runInstaller -updateNodeList ORACLE_HOME=$GRID_HOME CRS=true
                • 5. Re: Question about Cluvfy stage -pre dbinst
                  N88
                  FYI,

This link might help you with what Mr.John was refering to.

I could only find this correction for 10g RAC and hope this applies to 11G too.

http://askdba.org/weblog/2010/01/cluvfy-reports-crs-not-installed-on-nodes/

Thanks
                  -N

Edited by: 960081 on Jan 14, 2013 10:12 AM

Edited by: 960081 on Jan 14, 2013 10:15 AM
                  • 6. Re: Question about Cluvfy stage -pre dbinst
                    David Clement
                    I'm grateful for the analysis and suggestion. You're correct about where the inventory file resides. I've got an SR open about this issue and will see where Oracle Support takes it.
                    • 7. Re: Question about Cluvfy stage -pre dbinst
                      David Clement
                      Thanks for the link. I am following up on it.