This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2013 11:04 PM by oelk0 RSS

XE10 on Linux: copy all DBMS files?

oelk0 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
is it possible to
- stop the database
- copy all files and subdirectories from /usr/lib/oracle to another machine with the same hostname and ip-adress
- start the datatbase

Would that work?

Best regards
Achim Klausmann
  • 1. Re: XE10 on Linux: copy all DBMS files?
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    - stop the database
    - copy all files and subdirectories from /usr/lib/oracle to another machine with the same hostname and ip-adress
    - start the datatbase

Would that work?
    Yes.
  • 2. Re: XE10 on Linux: copy all DBMS files?
    clcarter Expert
    I'll agree too, sort of. Stopping the database is the critical part- a shutdown database is the only way to get a consistent backup. There are other ways to backup datafiles, i.e. a "hot" backup but that requires enabling archivelog mode, putting the database in backup mode, copying the datafiles to the new host, and performing recovery to get all datafiles consistent at the new host. The archivelog files created during the backup will be required at the new host for the recovery.

With a "cold" backup (database shutdown) the recovery part is not needed.

And the "to another machine with the same hostname and ip-adress" part will be a problem- can't have two hosts on the network with the same IP. At least not at the same time, two machines with the same IP is a not healthy state for the LAN.

For a new host, use a new hostname, that is a small part of the network client configuration.
  • 3. Re: XE10 on Linux: copy all DBMS files?
    oelk0 Newbie
    'copy the files to another machine' i will:
    - copy it on linux
    - shutdown the old machine
    - start the new machine

So i will not have a conflict of hostnames or ip addresses.

Thanks a lot

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points