This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2013 10:13 AM by TPD-Opitz-Consulting-com RSS

calling object without checking for null

csckid Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Consider the example below. To check/get the value of Student.firstName I have to check for student nulls, then firstName nulls. Is there better way to write this?

I have noticed that, if I write private Student student = new Student() in User class, then I won't need to check whether student is null. But one of my friend said it is not good to initialize since it takes space. Any suggestion?
Class User{
  private Student student;
 //getters and setters
}

Class Student{
  private String firstName;
  private Date myDate;
  private ArrayList<Long> ids;
 //getters and setters
}

User user = new User();
if(user.getStudent() !=null && user.getFirstName()!=null && user.getStudent().getFirstName().equals("he")){
  System.out.println("great job");
}
  • 1. Re: calling object without checking for null
    TPD-Opitz-Consulting-com Expert
    If you want to initialize the variable with a default you should declare a constant
    class Student [
     public static final Student DUMMY_STUDENT = new Student();
    }
    But if every user will have it's unique Student you better pass the Student object as a constructor parameter the final keyword makes the compiler check for initialisation (but also prevents changing the referenced object):
    class User {
      private final Student student; // assign an object only once
      User(Student student) {
         this student = student;
      }
    }
    Also you should not access the student field in user directly. You should better use a getter method.

bye
    TPD
  • 2. Re: calling object without checking for null
    csckid Newbie
    student object does not has to be initialize all the time.
  • 3. Re: calling object without checking for null
    rp0428 Guru
    Before you drop your money in a coke machine do you check to make sure there really is a coke machine? Or do you just drop your money into thin air and hope for the best?

Same thing applies to your student class. How can you get a first name if there isn't a student to begin with?
  • 4. Re: calling object without checking for null
    csckid Newbie
    My objective of this thread is to know better ways to avoid checking for null, or a better way to check for null, instead of writing too many conditional check.

I have to check null values for student first and then null check for firstname.
    if(user.getStudent() !=null && user.getStudent().getFirstName()!=null && user.getStudent().getFirstName().equals("he")){
      System.out.println("great job");
    }
  • 5. Re: calling object without checking for null
    look for a better design.

When Users do not nessesarily contain Students, why do you ask users for student details?

if not every User needs a Student you maybe better do the other way around?

bye
    TPD
  • 6. Re: calling object without checking for null
    csckid Newbie
    My actual scenario is not the thing I have mentioned in thread. I gave an example to grab my problem easily.

please ignore syntax and any other error, I just typed it without even caring the logics
    class SearchOption{
         Student student;
         Registration registration;
    //    getters and setters
    }
    class Student{
       String firstName;
       String lastName;
       String address;
       String State;
       Date birthday;
     //many other fields with getters and setters
    }
     class Registration{
      int departmentId;
      int registrationId;
      Date startDate;
      Date endDate;
     //many other fields with getters and setters
    }

//searchStudent method prepare a query based on fields which are not empty 
    void searchStudents(SearchOption searchOption){
        String sql = "select * from ";
        if(searchOption.getStudent() !=null{ sql += " Students";}
        if(searchOption.getStudent() !=null && searchOption.getStudent().getFirstName() !=null && !searchOption.getStudent().getFirstName().equals("")){
            sql += " student.firstName like '" +searchOption.getStudent().getFirstName() ;
        }
        ...like this it checks which fields are not empty and prepare a query

}
  • 7. Re: calling object without checking for null
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    I have to check null values for student first and then null check for firstname.
    >
    Correct - you can't ask someone that doesn't exist for their first name; commen sense.
    >
    My objective of this thread is to know better ways to avoid checking for null, or a better way to check for null, instead of writing too many conditional check.
    >
    You have to either check for null or trap the exception that will occur if you don't check and you get a null. Checking for null is best.
    But you don't have to check the same thing for null multiple times like you do here
        if(searchOption.getStudent() !=null{ sql += " Students";}
        if(searchOption.getStudent() !=null && searchOption.getStudent().getFirstName() !=null && !searchOption.getStudent().getFirstName().equals("")){
    In that code why are you checking 'searchOption.getStudent()' for null multiple times. Just make the call once and do one check:
    Student searchStudent = searchOption.getStudent();

if (searchStudent != null) {
      sql := " Students";
      -- check first name for null and, if not null, get the first name and add it to the query
      --anything else that needs to be done if there actually IS a student in the search criteria 
    }
  • 8. Re: calling object without checking for null
    csckid Newbie
    ok so I guess I must check for null everytime, which is kinda hectic job.

I thought that I might have to write a function that checks for null, so I would pass everything into that function and that function will never send an exception
  • 9. Re: calling object without checking for null
    Or you try another design approach...

bye
    TPD

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points