This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2013 11:11 PM by opsuser RSS

Mount Point layout

981253 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all.

I am about to install Ops Center on a server . Based on the requirments , I know that

swap = 6GB
/var = 100 GB ( Local database )

other than this , what should be the best mount point sizes of /opt , /tmp etc ?

I have 4 Hard disks ,74 GB each. Around 250GB in total !

Regards
  • 1. Re: Mount Point layout
    graham1137 Newbie
    I gave /var/opt/sun/xvm it's own mountpoint. This is where OC's Oracle database lives along with the bulk of the OC software.
    It's quite a busy filesystem.

Other than that, my only suggestion is to triple Oracle's minimum memory & swap requirements for your EC. 11g with it's postrgreSQL database was less resource hungry.
  • 2. Re: Mount Point layout
    981253 Newbie
    Can u give me the result of df -h on your Ops Center server?
  • 3. Re: Mount Point layout
    opsuser Newbie
    "I gave /var/opt/sun/xvm it's own mountpoint"

Where did you mount it?

I ask because if you install an Solaris11 and mount this on filesystem residing a zpool other than rpool
    I believe there will be trouble updating the software.

Rgds,
    Mat
  • 4. Re: Mount Point layout
    graham1137 Newbie
    I have three Ops Center 12c EC's running on Solaris 11.1 servers and they are all configured with /var/opt/sun/xvm mounted from a pool other than rpool.

Extract from df -h...
    ocpool/ocxvm 364G 25G 340G 7% /var/opt/sun/xvm

I haven't tried to upgrade any of them yet, so I'm curious as to why you believe there will be a problem if /var/opt/sun/xvm is not mounted from rpool. I don't recall seeing anything about this requirement in Oracle's documentation.
  • 5. Re: Mount Point layout
    opsuser Newbie
    I don't recall seeing anything about this requirement in Oracle's documentation.
    Neither has I, but the Opscenter documentation for sure leaves a lot to wish ...

Now, in upgrading, the update procedure will create a new BE and if I'm not sure
    Solaris 11 BE feature does support file-systems located outside of rpool.
    (at least I was unable to get it work)
  • 6. Re: Mount Point layout
    graham1137 Newbie
    Thanks for the feedback opsuser.

I think I will raise a support call with Oracle to confirm one way or another.
    I have an Ops center server configured in our test lab which I can use to test this. Will post up whatever info I get.
  • 7. Re: Mount Point layout
    opsuser Newbie
    n the Oracle® Enterprise Manager Ops Center Installation Guide for Oracle Solaris Operating System you can read:
    ...........................................................................................
    Alternate Boot Environment (ABE) is not supported
    for Oracle Solaris 10 zones or for the Enterprise Controller or Proxy Controller systems.
    ...........................................................................................

Reading this really makes me wonder what they are saying.
    "or for the Enterprise Controller". What is it that is not supported,
    running the enterprise controller in an active boot environment on a Solaris 10 host?
    And how about Solaris 11? As usual the OpsCenter documentation is all but clear ...
    Will post up whatever info I get.
    Please do. I look forward to read what they say.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points