This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2013 11:01 PM by noli RSS

Install a Single Instance with Existing ASM-RAC as storage using PPRC

noli Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Good day Oracle Community,

We have an existing 2 node Real Application Cluster on our Data Center and from our DR site We have an IBM AIX that is designed to run a Synchronous Peer to Peer Remote copy(PPRC) that used to copy Data to a remote site for Disaster Recovery Purposes.

Scenario will be,

Since that our Server from the DR site have a PPRC capability it used a remote copy of our ASM-RAC (from our Data center) as storage.
Is it possible that we install a Single Instance to our DR-Site and used the copy of our ASM-RAC as storage?
If we install Grid Infrastructure and a Database software is it possible that the copy of ASM-RAC storage can be run and manage in a Single Instance Database?

regards,

noli
  • 1. Re: Install a Single Instance with Existing ASM-RAC as storage using PPRC
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    If I understand what you are saying, and some of your explanation is a bit fuzzy, under no conditions would I use PPRC ... rather I recommend Data Guard.

PPRC is more than capable of replicating or introducing corruption.

If you respond please include the following:
    1. Why the replication? Over what distance? Are you introducing an apply delay?
    2. What version number?
    3. What Oracle Database edition? Enterprise or Standard?
  • 2. Re: Install a Single Instance with Existing ASM-RAC as storage using PPRC
    noli Newbie
    Hi sir damorgan,

Sorry for the fuzzy explanation, We already have an agreement to used the Server and we don't have a plan to purchase another. The server can't run a 24/7 activity that's why Dataguard is not an option. The server is design to synchronously copy the data remotely in shorter distance of 100 to 200 KMs, it is also describe as Metro Mirroring.

For the Server It is IBM PowerHA SystemMirror for AIX Enterprise Edition Version 7.1 Storage-based high availability and disaster recovery

For the Database it is Oracle Database 11gr2 Enterprise Edition.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points