This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2013 9:43 PM by kgronau RSS

Issue with "at sign" - @

984667 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have tried to create a databaselink to a SQL SERVER but I'm facing issues with the username.
When I use the following command the dblink is created but I am unable to connect to the dblink:

CREATE DATABASE LINK mydblink
CONNECT TO *"thiagobarnabe@msn.com"* IDENTIFIED BY "password"
USING 'tripoint';

When I test the dblink I receive the errors *ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user *'thiagobarnabe'*. {28000,NativeErr = 18456}* and ORA-02063.

If I use the following command I do not receive any error, it works perfectly:

CREATE DATABASE LINK mydblink
CONNECT TO "ThiagoBarnabe" IDENTIFIED BY "password"
USING 'tripoint';

It is important to notice that in both cases I'm using username and password enclosed by double quotes (") and both usernames and passwords are correct and exists in my SQLServer. In addition, in the error message we can see that the unrecognized user is what precedes the "at sign". I read Oracle documentation, tried to find any solution but so far I didn't find anything able to help me.

Is it possible to use users with at sign or not?
I would apreciate your valuable comments.

Edited by: user12833006 on 14/01/2013 04:33
  • 1. Re: Issue with "at sign" - @
    kgronau Guru
    There were a couple of bugs logged that special characters do not work when specified in a username or password. Some of them are fixed in newer gateway releases, see for example: Ora-28500 Connecting To Sql Server Using Generic Connectivity With Hash '#' In the Password (Doc ID 817454.1)

Which DG4ODBC/HSODBC release are you using?

- Klaus
  • 2. Re: Issue with "at sign" - @
    984667 Newbie
    Hi, I'm using the Oracle Database XE 11g with DG4ODBC v11.2.0.2.0, the local server is a x64 machine and the DSN was created using the odbcad32 tool from Windows 7. Any idea?
  • 3. Re: Issue with "at sign" - @
    kgronau Guru
    There's a bug (bug 16168452 - USERNAME WITH "@" SIGN CAN'T LOG INTO SQL SERVER USING THE GATEWAY) logged for 11.2.0.3 DG4MSQL gateways that the at sign can't be used in a username. The bug is still open and under investigation. It was already confirmed that the issue happens also with DG4ODBC 11.2.0.3 and we have to wait for a fix.

Edited by: kgronau on Jan 15, 2013 7:55 AM
    In an earlier release for 11.1 a fix was rejected (Bug 7356433: DG4ODBC REMOTE DB USERNAME AS EMAIL ADDRESS FAILS TO CONNECT) as it interferes with the @ handler using internally in OCI. But now as MS started with windows 8 to use the email like naming method it might change and the issue might be fixed.
  • 4. Re: Issue with "at sign" - @
    984667 Newbie
    Tks a lot for your support. In addition, could you please let me know where I can find any information about this bug? I mean, something from Oracle's website? I do not know where I can find it, jut to document it.
  • 5. Re: Issue with "at sign" - @
    kgronau Guru
    With a valid support contract you can use the Knowledge Base from http://support.oracle.com which also allows you to check out published bugs.
    - Klaus
  • 6. Re: Issue with "at sign" - @
    984667 Newbie
    Thank you very much!

Edited by: user12833006 on 15/01/2013 06:53
  • 7. Re: Issue with "at sign" - @
    kgronau Guru
    Some more feedback about this issue. It will be fixed in the next upcoming 11.2.0.4 patch set. If you need an earlier fix you have to file a service request and ask for a "backport" of 12559493 for your database/gateway version and platform.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points