This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 7:34 AM by 984793 RSS

Java Deployment for Active Directory

984721 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We are wanting to install the Java 7 update 11 on our users pcs. However we are looking for an .msi file to use to install via Active Directory. I found a few links that suggested I install the update manually on a pc and then look in the Application Data directory for the file. So far we have been successful in manually installing on a couple pcs but none of them have the msi file that we need to setup the Group Policy.

Any help in locating an msi for this version of JRE would be greatly appreciated.
  • 1. Re: Java Deployment for Active Directory
    984569 Newbie
    Download the version you need from here -
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

Start the installer. DO NOT hit next. With the installer open go to C:\Users\[user]\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java and copy out the jre1.7.0_11 folder. That's what you need to put in the [domain]\SYSVOL\[domain]\scripts directory for deployment. Browse to it locally on your DC to copy in the files.

Edited by: 981566 on Jan 14, 2013 7:58 AM
  • 2. Re: Java Deployment for Active Directory
    984793 Newbie
    Not that I'm putting blame on you, but why does it have to be this difficult? Why can't they just give us a plain-jane MSI file. Heck, even Adobe allows this once you register (for free) for the 'redistribution' program. They, Oracle, could/should do something similar instead of making it so difficult.
  • 3. Re: Java Deployment for Active Directory
    984569 Newbie
    ...no idea.
    I just know how to make it work.
  • 4. Re: Java Deployment for Active Directory
    gimbal2 Guru
    981790 wrote:
    Not that I'm putting blame on you, but why does it have to be this difficult? Why can't they just give us a plain-jane MSI file.
    Ahem:

http://java.com/en/download/faq/msi.xml

Perhaps that is what you already found but then I don't understand why you now seem to want to make people believe there is no such thing. There is a plain-jane MSI file. Apparently you don't want one, you want one that will work specifically for you.

Why does it have to be so difficult? Because it is difficult to manage installations for X platforms where each computer is a unique entity that is likely contaminated and damaged by its user(s).
  • 5. Re: Java Deployment for Active Directory
    984793 Newbie
    I want to make sure I'm striking the proper tone here so I'll start off by saying I'm not here to start or otherwise instigate an argument or anything like that.

For starters, yes, I'm aware of the aforementioned page. (thanks for linking btw!) User 981566 [above] essentially paraphrased the instructions on that page. And yes, the instructions work in getting one access to an MSI. But none of that was ever in question.
    I never said "its impossible to find an MSI - they just don't exist. Oracle uses magic!" The 'spirit', if you will, of my post was more of an expression frustration; a way of venting & asking (rhetorically really):
    - Why isn't there simply an option to download an MSI [from the java website]?
    - Why must one have to jump through a hoop or two just to get an MSI?
    Suffice it to say that we'll probably never know why they do it this way, unless someone [in the know] at Oracle chooses to provide an answer/explanation. We're not in a 'work stoppage' situation, a solution exists to get Java deployed via MSI among other methods so we (as IT admins, engineers) can move on with deployment & other assignments and not get hung up on this.

Because it is difficult to manage installations for X platforms where each computer is a unique entity that is likely contaminated and damaged by its user(s).
    Whoa, seriously? I'm not saying 'it doesn't hold water', but I don't think it holds much. Consider:
    - Oracle is a multi-billion dollar, multinational enterprise organization that architects solutions that scale up to the enterprise level, not some small 'mom & pop' shop operating out of a garage. If Adobe (a lesser, multi-million dollar organization) can put out MSI's for Acrobat Reader & two MSI's for Flash (one MSI for ActiveX & one MSI for plug-in based browsers) "for X platforms where each computer is a unique entity", there's no reason Oracle can't either.
    - The fact that the Java package still uses the MSI as part of the install suggests/indicates the exe is just a wrapper. (Why else would the MSI be there? Why else would the exe accept MSI command line parameters?)
    - No one can, or more to the point is going to, build a package that can account for all the possible ways a system has been "contaminated and damaged by its user(s)." And I don't expect anyone to.

I think its safe to say we've successfully detracted from the OP's original question! If you want to continue down this rabbit hole of speculation & healthy debate, lets start a new thread & not hijack this one.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points